Well, i saw a demotivator a while ago saying some thing like this:

INDIVIDUALITY
Remember, you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Now, thinking about it this statement, logically it is true, but if were all unique, that makes us all similar, thus not unique.

This is a bitch to explain, but think about it, is this statement a paradox or do i fail?
If a liar said he was lying, do you believe him?
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Quote by dangorironhide
Oxymoron, not paradox.

I knew it was one of the two, but its still interesting
Quote by dangorironhide
Oxymoron, not paradox.

Not really an oxymoron...
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Quote by dangorironhide
Oxymoron, not paradox.

Actually both can be used, but oxymoron is the most accepted for these sorts of things.

A paradox is a self explanatory self-denier to say it that way, which also oxymoron is, but in a slightly different way.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
an oxymoron is one word, thats the point of the pic...to be demotivationg.
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

It's not a paradox. The statement is plausible without becoming paradoxical. The only variable is whether or not someone is unique. Everyone is unique means everyone is different from everyone. Everyone being different from everyone means you are unique. Comprende?

Your reasoning is logically flawed. "If we are all unique, that makes us all similar" is a silly thing to suggest. Take three colours. Red, green, blue. Blue and red are both unique compared to green. This doesn't make blue and red similar.
Quote by dangorironhide
An oxymoron is not just one word. 'Happily sad' is an oxymoron, 'conformingly unique' another, and if Mr Mustaine is to be beleived, 'military intelligence' is another one.

point taken
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

Yeah, it's kind of strange...but it's just something you don't think about and just do.
The.
Quote by The_Kelaninator
an oxymoron is one word, thats the point of the pic...to be demotivationg.

It's usually two words.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Perfectly logical statement.

I give you three balls, one red, one blue and one yellow. They're all balls, but they're still unique from each other.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
If a liar said he was lying, do you believe him?

I think my head would explode.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
Not a paradox. As proven above
Good example of paradox --> hypothetical time travel.
If you were to travel back in time and prevent your conception,
how would you be able to prevent your conception if you werent there to prevent it?
Everyone is unique, but some people are more unique than others, and in different ways. Totally possible without being a paradox or oxymoron.
It's a fact. It isn't paradoxical or oxymoronic.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
What does "unique" mean? If it means that someone is absolutely different from others, then the statement is oxymoron. Cause being unique is characteristic by itself. So if two objects are both unique, they have the same characteristic (being unique), so they are not absolutely different.

But I think that unique means having at least one characteristic that doesn't match characteristic of anyone else. That's mean the the given statement is OK, it doesn't cotrdict to itself. Everyone can have the same characteristic (being unique), as long as their other characteristics are diffent.
Quote by dangorironhide
Unique means one of a kind, therefore people can't be 'more unique' or 'less unique'.

I know, but some people actually strive to blend in, and be the same as everyone else. Wouldn't that make them a lot more nondescript, not as unique?
Quote by rockergurl09
I know, but some people actually strive to blend in, and be the same as everyone else. Wouldn't that make them a lot more nondescript, not as unique?

I knew someone was going to bring this up.

Everyone is unique. Everyone thinks differently, feels differently, have different emotions and opinions, everyone has a different body, different fingerprints, different irises.

Everyone is unique. Don't go 'oh, but people conform'.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Every one conforms; some just make it A) more obvious or B) more often than most.
Remember your idols when you were five years old?
Case is rested. Everyone conforms, yet everyone is still unique.
Quote by telemetal
Well, i saw a demotivator a while ago saying some thing like this:

INDIVIDUALITY
Remember, you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Now, thinking about it this statement, logically it is true, but if were all unique, that makes us all similar, thus not unique.

This is a bitch to explain, but think about it, is this statement a paradox or do i fail?

i dont think it is an oxymoron because the word "unique" means different from anything else, so every single person in the world is different from everyone else.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Perfectly logical statement.

I give you three balls, one red, one blue and one yellow. They're all balls, but they're still unique from each other.

lol frenchy blue balls
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
It's not a paradox.

Everyone is unique, because everyone posesses characteristics that they share with no-one else. However, we do all share the ability to be unique. This is a similarity between everyone. The same way that everyone has lungs, but not everyone has blonde hair.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT