Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions or reviews on the new 08 Ibanez SV5470 prestige. The only major complaint I've heard, is that the pick ups could be better.I've been looking at it for quite some time now, and I've noticed and heard that the Ibanez True Duo pick ups should NOT be swapped out for new ones, as they would eliminate the guitar's True Duo ability. I know I could just try getting some new pots for it, but is this all really worth it, like some kind of gimmick by Ibanez to promote their own pick ups? Thanks for your opinions guys!
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Actually I tried one some weeks ago in a studio and the pickups didn't sound that bad, I have to admit that lately ibanez has improved the quality of it pickups quite a lot. Still from the way it worked and having dealt with other coil splitting guitars the technology pretty much seemed the same as usual, so if a pickup is splittable and most of the ones out there are it won't be hard to replace the original ones maintaining though this perk. If i remember correctly ibanez used to post online the specs of it's particular features such as the edge pro and monorail bridges, so they might have the ones of the true duo online too. Download them and ask your local luthier if it's compatible and make sure to check the same with the pickups you'd like to use on it
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
there are better quality replacement pickups which work along the same lines as the tru duo pickups
Shut up and play your guitar!
Google Tru-Duo pickups for an explanation of the technology in these pickups. They are a pretty cool triple coil design. As you may know, dual coil pickups cancel hum. These pickups combine humbucker design with the option to switch to a dual coil strat pickup (wired in series like Strat Noiseless pickups). If you remove the Tru-Duos, you are removing the hum canceling feature in single coil mode, & a good portion of the innovative design that you paid for.
As another person mentioned it is really a triple coil. The hummer sound isn't quite a humbucker. In the "up" setting it is a stacked noiseless coil. Some say they are good "but not great", some love the sound, others are looking for a different sound.

Some people have had wiring problems with theiirs (noise, or the duo being a little microphonic) but that isn't the case with mine. People who replace and rewire get a little lost since standard buckers have 4 wires and the Duo has 7 coming out of it and then you have to consider the resistance, the linear volume pots....

IF looking at an Ibanez look for one that has the sound you want. If the Tru-Duo doesn't sound right then find another (cheaper) guitar to do a swap with rather than paying extra for the Tru-Duo. (Deciding on what bridge you want may be the biggest issue really.)

Go for the sound. Can't find just the right sound - pick the bridge you want and go for the cheapest pickups since you'll be swapping them anyway.

Myself... I have an SAS36 that sounds fine to me, and I'm customizing a FrankenStrat for a backup with brighter sounds but maybe hunting down an RG321E used in a year or two. Either way... you pick and play - your ears are your judge and jury.

-r

Quote by shadowbane91
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions or reviews on the new 08 Ibanez SV5470 prestige. The only major complaint I've heard, is that the pick ups could be better.I've been looking at it for quite some time now, and I've noticed and heard that the Ibanez True Duo pick ups should NOT be swapped out for new ones, as they would eliminate the guitar's True Duo ability. I know I could just try getting some new pots for it, but is this all really worth it, like some kind of gimmick by Ibanez to promote their own pick ups? Thanks for your opinions guys!