I've got a bad case of (man) flu, so in my time off school, I thought I'd have a crack at my ska/jazz/blues based composition.

My teacher was kind enough to talk me through the possible chords I could use (multiple choice in some cases), so (today) I sat down and figured out which ones were similar/the same and came up with this:

***I'm in the key of A Minor***

Am-----Bm7(b5)---C6---Dm-----E7----F7----G#07----G7
I-------II------III----IV-----V----VI----VII----bVII

I have no extensive chord knowledge or books (although I do have grade 5 music theory )

Can anyone give me voiceings of these chords which will make them easyer to play off beat rhythms (i.e; I don't want to be playing open G7 or Am)

Please inform me if any of these chords are identical or the same (I've done my best to make them as different as possible (where possible). NOTE: I couldn't change chord II, V, VII or b VII.

Any external information will be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks in advance!

jack.
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Last edited by SG-Jack at May 6, 2008,
oh c'mon...

PLEASE tell me some simple voiceings for the chords i want to used.

why does no one reply to my topics? =/
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
just use the top four strings and figure out the chords from there. don't use open strings, etc.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Barre chords usually do the trick, at least that's what a lot of people use. I play only the highest four strings of a barre, but as long as the sound is bright that hardly matters. Seventh chords are tricky in ska, most people end up avoiding them. There are ways to do them, but they feel kind of awkward.

Are you just starting the song? Do you know how fast you want to go with it?
yeah, just starting at the minute, i figured out the 3/4 string voiceings for all the chords today

next i'm going to work on a chorus progression and verse progression, only until i have an idea of how the guitars/bass/drums sound, i will start on the horn parts

speed? uhhmm... reasonably quick... about 100-120 Crotchet BPM

thanks
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Boss BF3