I have noticed a large amount of hum out of this guitar. Has anyone else had this problem with this guitar? Should I pop her open and re-solder her?
Seeing as how it's an XM, you probably paid less than $200 for it so sure!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
$100 flat. Everything else seems just fine. The hum is just irritating. I don't have this problem from my other guitars.
I just re-soldered my input jack to see if it was a bad connection there since one of the wires was a bit frayed. No dice. Played around with it a bit more and noticed that it is happening when the tone knob is turned up. If I turn it all the way down it is as quiet as a mouse and plays alright. Guess I will have to replace that.
Also just noticed it is only happening when distorted. So now I am not so sure. Also if I touch the guitar cables where they plug in to the input jack, the hum dies down a great deal. So now I am just confused.
Bad cable???

Are the pick up cavities shielded? Do you get hum with both pickups?
Quote by thedude051
bubbaearl...Man that is...THE SICKEST NAME EVER!!!

Quote by Stress Cow
bubbaearl... apparently it's the sickest name ever

Are you over 30?
Probably not, but if you are, click HERE.
I get hum with both pickups.

I know it isn't the cables. Good Planet Wave cables.

I am not 100% sure what you mean by shielded.
Check out this stuff from Stew-Mac:

Link

I don't really know if that's the problem or not. There are other (cheaper) ways to shield the pickup cavity. Check google or check your local guitar shops. I have a Dean EVO XM and the cavities are not shileded, but they are on my Dean V. I don't get any hum from either of them.

If you have a good local shop, take the guitar to them. They may give it a check up at no charge.
Quote by thedude051
bubbaearl...Man that is...THE SICKEST NAME EVER!!!

Quote by Stress Cow
bubbaearl... apparently it's the sickest name ever

Are you over 30?
Probably not, but if you are, click HERE.
shielding is just adding some foil under the pickups in the cavity.
it quiets guitars.

but usually you'll hear loud humming in single coil guitars.

does yours quiet when you touch metal on the guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I checked and it doesn't have any shielding. I will pick up some shielding tap off of musicians friend. I am sure all my guitars could benefit from this even if this winds up not being the problem. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by jj1565
shielding is just adding some foil under the pickups in the cavity.
it quiets guitars.

but usually you'll hear loud humming in single coil guitars.

does yours quiet when you touch metal on the guitar?

Yeah.
Quote by The Minorthreat
Its like a friggin $200 dollar guitar WTH do you expect.

But I would check the cable maybe..
First off it wasn't a complaint. It was just pointing out the prob and asking advice. You will notice at no point did I flame the guitar. In fact I praise it for what it is at its price point.

Also I know it isn't the cables. Used them on other guitars without hum issues.
Quote by The Minorthreat
Its like a friggin $200 dollar guitar WTH do you expect.

But I would check the cable maybe..

I have a 100$ or less guitar electric guitar and doesn't hum a bit, is not shielded on the cavity either. I think you should check your guitar's electronic.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Vangald
Yeah.

if it quiets when you touch metal then it's a loose ground wire.

make sure the groud wire to the jack is soldered correctly, and too the innermost lug.

make sure there's a wire running from the pickup cavity to the bridge. that ground the strings and bridge.

and make sure all the ground wires fromt the pickups are on a common grounding pool probably on the back of a vol pot.

if you can find the problem wire, then you can look up "star grounding"

and you can foil line the cavity and attach a ground to the foil and to the ground pool.

these are little tricks that quiet a noisy guitar.

any guitar can have a grounding wire come loose. my 62' reissue had a problem until i grounded and shielded it better.

lastly, when the bridge wire fell off my tele, and caused a hum, i didnt feel like taking it apart again, so i clipped a wire to the bridge, and ran the other end of the wire to a loop that i tucked in my waistband. as long as it touches skin it'll keep the guitar quiet.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011