Just curious. Just started trying to do them recently and I know it is a hard technique to pick up, but was curious if pickups have any effect on how harmonics are played and if so what pickups do what?
Do you mean pinch or natural?

I know one of the pickups on telecasters is placed in a dead spot which doesnt pick up natural harmonics or somthing...

And as far as pinch harmonics go i guess having higher output pickups and using more gain helps there...
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
The answer is a little complicated to this question. It kind of yes and no. If you were to get pickups with equal output to what you have it would not make a whole lot of difference, but also the technique must be there.
Brighter and higher output pickups help give harmonics a boost in volumn and clarity.

Good technique can make any pickup squeal.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
The individual guitar can make harmonics easier or harder, but higher output pickups can make them 'louder' and have more of a crunch to them. IE on my friends $50 ebay guitar I can hit pinch harmonics but they sound so dull you can barely tell them apart from natural harmonics. When I play on my Razorback with the Dimebucker the difference is huge.

To sum it up I wouldn't say they make harmonics 'eaiser to play', just more noticeable.
try first and do them unamplified. If you can't get them clearly there, pickups won't help.

besides that, bridge pickup, high output, and maybe some presence will help too.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Yes, some pickups are higher output (i.e. EMG's) and have an easier time picking them up.
Well I know I have hit a harmonic a couple of times. I know the general areas around the pickups that they are being sounded from. My technique is crap, but I can still hear something. It is just extremely weak. It just seems like even if my technique was crap it would be a bit pronounced. I will keep practicing with it and see if I can get it to ring better.
any type of harmonics are affected mainly by how well you can do them.

although it helps if the equipment you're using can pick them up properly, but even the best equipment can only do so much if your technique isn't any good.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
They're most prominent on a high output pickup in the bridge position, gain + treble turned up on the amp and tone and volume maxed on the guitar.
I learned with those settings and now I can even get them pretty clearly on an acoustic. If you try learning it clean or unplugged or whatever, you won't hear because your technique won't have developed and you'll assume that your technique isn't right.
Try doing it with those settings until you get the technique down, then work on getting them clearer.
Its all in the technique.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
pickups won't make it easier to do, just easier to hear
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
The bridge pick up. And PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch Kristofer Dahls vid on whammy bar harmonics after you learn natural harmonics!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't personally tried the humbuckers in the original Razorbacks. But I own a Razorback V 255 (The main difference is the neck[24 frets instead of 22] and the pickups) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Razorback-V-255-Electric-Guitar?sku=511853

It's a great guitar! Equipped with active EMG's, 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge.

The 255 model comes both as a V shape and as the classic Razorback shape!

I bet if you purchase one, you won't disappointed.
Well if I get new pickups I was thinking about picking up the seymour duncan dave mastaine active pickups. I like the dimebuckers, but they just don't have the tone I am looking for.
Quote by Tom!!
I know one of the pickups on telecasters is placed in a dead spot which doesnt pick up natural harmonics or somthing...

Yes, the neck pickup lies under a 5th fret harmonic node, so it'll be dead quiet there.

You might get unlucky with other pickup placements too. I have found a few pinch harmonic sweet spots where a node were right over a pickup, but it's a rare occurrence.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Yes, the neck pickup lies under a 5th fret harmonic node, so it'll be dead quiet there.

I don't think so. Nodes are very small points, where as a pickup's magnetic field is quite large. Nodes really aren't a big deal at all.

Quote by Vangald
Well if I get new pickups I was thinking about picking up the seymour duncan dave mastaine active pickups. I like the dimebuckers, but they just don't have the tone I am looking for.

That makes no sense. How can you like them, but not like the tone?
Quote by KingDev
The individual guitar can make harmonics easier or harder, but higher output pickups can make them 'louder' and have more of a crunch to them. IE on my friends $50 ebay guitar I can hit pinch harmonics but they sound so dull you can barely tell them apart from natural harmonics. When I play on my Razorback with the Dimebucker the difference is huge.

To sum it up I wouldn't say they make harmonics 'eaiser to play', just more noticeable.

Absolutely spot on - playing a harmonic is physics, if you do it correctly then it'll work. Different pickups have different EQ curves and so respond better to some frequencies than others depending on the voicing. However, they won't make harmonics any easier or more difficult to pull off, just how the guitar respnds to them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hell yes pu make a difference. At least it did for me.

I can do them sometimes on my MIM strat.

I could do them sometimes on my ESP Eclipse with EMG's

THEN

I had my EMG's swapped out yesterday for SD 59/JB. I spent an hour lastnight rippin harmonics on my new JB bridge pu like it was nothing. It made a HUGE difference.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think so. Nodes are very small points, where as a pickup's magnetic field is quite large. Nodes really aren't a big deal at all.

Pick up a Telecaster. Switch to the neck. Play 5h fret harmonic. Enjoy the silence. I'm telling you, they won't ring out through the amp (not a lot at least. It's gonna be very faint and useless).
Quote by forsaknazrael

It means I like the sound but I like the sound of other pickups better.
Instead of making a whole new thread....

I can get pinch harmonics about 80-85% of the time with my starter Ibanez and my brother's Affinity Squier Strat. But they sound extremely wimpy, even with full gain and treble. It kinda sounds like a bird singing.

Would new pickups and/or a new amp make them sound proper? I'm using the Ibanez's starter 15W amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael

I smell Candy Corn........