The question I've pondered for a while now. Almost anyone can play guitar unless you're a blind, deaf, dumb, mud-eating freak, so what makes you a good guitarist. Speed doesn't count for anything in my opinion.

What does it really take to be considered legendary? E.g...

Jimmy Page
Dimebag Darrell
Muddy Waters
Eddie Van Halen

What sets them all apart?

Go.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Owning a guitar helps
So does talent

EDIT:
If it makes a diffrence, as far as I know all these guys started out with **** instruments or in EVH's case, on drums.
Maybe it's a true love of the instrument. Most people would give up if they couldn't play well on a crap piece of kit, but these guys trooped on through.
Quote by Sabu
Well, when a mommy and a daddy love eachother very much....

I did not see that coming

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Feel. Anyone can play a tab with enough practice, but you have to get into the groove/feel of the song to play it properly. This is what annoys me with a lot of youtube guitarists; they play every note with the same attack and it just sounds too plain.

Oh, and you have to make up some memorable riffs.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
lots of practice
MUSIC

Black > Classic

UG BLACK BRIGADE

Quote by punkforlife93
hit him in the balls, prefferably from below so as for maximum testacular pain

Quote by Strato-Massacre
1) stick him in his kisser, quick!
2) repeat step one.
Precision
Musicality
Innovation
Presence
Charisma

And PLEASE. Just because your dead doesnt make you a good guitarist.
Quote by FarewellMemory
Precision
Musicality
Innovation
Presence
Charisma

And PLEASE. Just because your dead doesnt make you a good guitarist.

Any guitarist in particular? The dead thing, I mean.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Technical ability. Face it, you need to be an excellent player, even if you prefer a slow soulful solo over shred. Most of the guys who do those slow solo's can shred like you wouldn't believe.
Knowledge of theory. You can say "lol no theory is for dummies", but it makes things a hell of a lot easier and helps when you know it thoroughly.
Originality. Everyone who has hit the top has done so because they're doing something nobody has done before, even though there are thousands of bands copying that.
Ability to play live. If you can't put on a good show, nobody will be interested.
Versatility. Chances are you won't play in the genre of your choice alot of the time if you are serious. You'll need to be able in many, many genre's.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
having a feel. (and preferrably some decent equipment so the people that are adoring your vibe done have bleeding ears:P)
Watch John Pertucci play.... then watch Alexi Lahio or Nuno Bettencourt, because they're not only really good studio players, but live they are even better, they don't just stand around like John (who I like as a player a lot). Stage presence is the most important thing that stands guitar players apart....

another example is of this kid at my school who gets more credit than he deserves I mean the kid has no ****ing stage presence and looks down while playing all the time... But everyone thinks he's the best ****in' guitar player in the school even though I'm as good if not better and hardly every look down and constantly move while.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Any guitarist in particular? The dead thing, I mean.

eugh.. do not want to start flame war.

however. There are guitarists out there who have EXTRA fame for no longer being with us. They are still influential and whatnot, however the fact that they are dead seems to augment their abilities..
including, but not limited to

-Hendrix
-SRV
-Dimebag Darrell

This does not mean i dont like theyre music or dont appreciate their style.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The question I've pondered for a while now. Almost anyone can play guitar unless you're a blind, deaf, dumb, mud-eating freak, so what makes you a good guitarist. Speed doesn't count for anything in my opinion.

Jimmy Page
Dimebag Darrell
Muddy Waters
Eddie Van Halen

Go.

Are you saying Helen Keller can't shred? Because I met her and she played No Boundaries. When asked about her practice regimen, however, all I got was a "mhmhmhm".
Quote by FarewellMemory
eugh.. do not want to start flame war.

however. There are guitarists out there who have EXTRA fame for no longer being with us. They are still influential and whatnot, however the fact that they are dead seems to augment their abilities..
including, but not limited to

-Hendrix
-SRV
-Dimebag Darrell

This does not mean i dont like theyre music or dont appreciate their style.

I know what you mean

Ever since Dimebag's death everyone seems to be jumping on the "He was the greatest guitarist in the world" bandwagon.

I've read all your posts so far and I must say I agree to some point. But what about Ian Curtis? A lot of you won't know him but he was one of the most original and innovative guitar players of our generation. He's only conisdered a legend in a few small circles of fans

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Jimmy Page
Dimebag Darrell
Muddy Waters
Eddie Van Halen

Go.

they are all shemales
Quote by Zero-Hartman
But what about Ian Curtis? A lot of you won't know him but he was one of the most original and innovative guitar players of our generation. He's only conisdered a legend in a few small circles of fans

Ah, yes on the same wavelength. There are brilliant guitarists out there, and fame should not be a measure of skill. Some musicians simply dont get the opportunity!
Its maybe better that there isnt an Ian Curtis bandwagon, because we would have to deal with pigheaded ignorance when any conversation topic of guitar rises...
Quote by Someone18
Are you saying Helen Keller can't shred? Because I met her and she played No Boundaries. When asked about her practice regimen, however, all I got was a "mhmhmhm".

Point taken Farewell, if Ian Curtis was famous I'm sure 13 year old ignoramuses would be listening to him for the pure fact that "everyone else does"...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
A great guitarist have to be real! And then there is the thing that I struggle with. The ability to make up something epic and play it like you really mean it. Fast or slow does`nt matter at all.

When you can come up with something that makes people go: DA DA DAAH da DA dADDAA! for 40 years or whatevver you are a great guitarist. It has to be unique, catchy and exiting

no trouble really
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
if you can keep a great rhythm you get my vote. face-melting solos don't impress that much now.
Quote by ctb
if you can keep a great rhythm you get my vote. face-melting solos don't impress that much now.

QFT, look at David Gilmour

Anyone can shred, but it takes real skill to have emotion and melody.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.