So i just read somewhere that if you push a ss amp too hard you'll get transistor clipping which is harsh and unwanted. so what happens when you use a distortion pedal or the drive channel on a ss amp? is it just 'fake' overdrive?? and what about valve amps, does the drive channel boost the valves and get valve clipping at a lower volume (than if using really high volume on clean channel) which IS nice and wanted? or is that, too, fake? just a bit confused here...
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
yea u pretty much got the idea. when SS amps clip it's not really distortion-type gain, it's nasty sounding. SS amps that have two channels provide their own distortion but like u guessed, that's 'fake' gain. distortion pedals also provide 'fake' or 'imitation' gain. but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not good.

using a distortion pedal on a tube amp is STILL 'fake' but using an OD pedal to just push the tubes is not. easier concept to understand than it is to explain lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
ok so what about using an od pedal on ss? does that push the transistors to clip? well it can't really can it otherwise people wouldn't use em on ss. so does an od pedal act differently on ss somehow?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Quote by fretblaze
ok so what about using an od pedal on ss? does that push the transistors to clip? well it can't really can it otherwise people wouldn't use em on ss. so does an od pedal act differently on ss somehow?

I use a handwired (built by me) TS808 replica OD pedal into my solid state amplifier. I use it, and i love the tone i get. It does rely on diode clipping, and yes it has the possibility to sound HORRIBLE. However, when used properly in combination, aside from multiplying the amount of gain possible, you can also create great sustain, and a well rounded fuller tone. The processed signal from the pedal gives a higher strength signal to the amplifier, and allows the amplifier to work with a more powerful signal, and a slightly overdriven signal

On that point, I actually use the volume on the OD pedal, much more than the drive itself. Thus, it is essentially a glorified Linear Power Booster, with a little tonal colouring.
Quote by fretblaze

Transistor clipping sounds ugly. You don't want that. But the distortion you get from SS amps isn't necessarily that bad itself.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Gain is essentially the amount of amplification. If you turn the 'gain' knob on your hifi up, you'll get more volume. When master volumes started being fitted to amp, the meaning of it changed, since the old gain (or volume) control now controlled the amount of overdrive. Now gain can even mean power amp overdrive.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just making an educated guess).
Quote by mr_hankey
Gain is essentially the amount of amplification. If you turn the 'gain' knob on your hifi up, you'll get more volume. When master volumes started being fitted to amp, the meaning of it changed, since the old gain (or volume) control now controlled the amount of overdrive. Now gain can even mean power amp overdrive.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just making an educated guess).

Something like that. My educated guess is that Gain is how much signal is let into the amplification circuit. Thus pre-amp gain increases distortion (more signal overdriving the preamp section), and post-amp gain (aka. volume) increases, well, volume. And eventually, power amp overdrive. The term is often used as "distortion" tho, I'm guilty of it too "That sort of music usually uses a lot of gain", but I believe the original meaning at least is just what I explained.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
simply put, OD will sound fine on SS amps. it won't be the same as a tube amp though. but it will give it more sustain, beef, etc. but if dime the gain on the OD it wont be pleasing like on a tube amp speaking from experience
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out