Sup electric guitar forum.

i just noticed that when i strum, my pick tends to edge its way into my hand. i never really paid attention to it, but i noticed that im constantly readjusting my pick.

it happens when im picking normally as well (alternate too), but it takes longer.

The first picture is how I hold my pick, and the second is how it usually ends up.

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=techqfk5.jpg

http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=endippivkff7.jpg
Last edited by myearshurt at May 6, 2008,
Happens to me too. I have bad picking habits. I hold the pick pretty high up, and yet my index fingernail always scrapes the strings when I down pick, especially when I do all downpicks i.e. Master of Puppets.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
My suggestion is that you try to hold it more like this:

I think it works better, better control and stability and it allows for smother playing when playing fast.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
Last night i played with my buddies pick and it has these contour grouves in the pick that you hold that felt really rough just on the part you hold not on the end, I loved it and i'm going to go buy some because I have the same problem. I felt it really help me pick better because it was such a better grip.
thanks for the advice, but my accuracy is pure **** when i hold it that way

He gave you some really good advice. It is worth learning how to hold the pick this way. In addition to the reasons the poster gave, I also think it is easier to mute unplayed strings with the side of the thumb, making it easier to play cleanly.

If your pick slips when you get sweaty, some texture on your pick helps, too.

Adjusting to the different grip just takes a little practice ... within a week or two it will feel natural again.
Quote by Steve BP
He gave you some really good advice. It is worth learning how to hold the pick this way. In addition to the reasons the poster gave, I also think it is easier to mute unplayed strings with the side of the thumb, making it easier to play cleanly.

If your pick slips when you get sweaty, some texture on your pick helps, too.

Adjusting to the different grip just takes a little practice ... within a week or two it will feel natural again.

alright, ill try. it slips quicker mainly on cold days.

i tried a friends stubbies or something today, and the grooves really helped with the slip issue, but it's a little too thick for my liking
get tortex or gator grips to stabilize your grip. they move a lot less than standard delrin and whatever else picks. and a lot of people adjust picks in the middle of songs and stuff, like during a long chord or something. hold i short and get a good enough grip that it dont slip but that it has a little room so you're not playing like a rock
I hold my pick like petterblo, except like parabellum, I too scrape the string with my index fingernail.. It doesn't change the sound much and I don't notice it often.. I've been playing for 4 years now.. Is that a bad habit? does anyone else get this?
James hetfield who is pretty good at picking likes to get some finger and nail in to his picking because it makes it sound gnarly apparently
Shut up and play your guitar!
yes, but alot of times when i upstroke my index nail gets caught in the strings.. one time it chipped off a piece.. luckily just the white part so i clipped it short..
yeah short nails are essential..

Most picking problems like these should sort themselves out with time and practice like the sig says.
Shut up and play your guitar!
Quote by myearshurt
thanks for the advice, but my accuracy is pure **** when i hold it that way

Mine was at first, too. But now I just can't do it any other way.