ok first of all never touched a bass guitar and im writing the bass part for our band until we get a player. is it easy to hit more than one sting on a bass? would it sound good? is it easy to change strings fast? can you add distortion? wah? thats all plz answer as many as u can
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
part of Trumpet Player's Alliance
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
woah woah woah buddy, yes you can hit more then once string at a time, yes it sounds good, apparently you've never heard of thrash, or cliff burton or lemmy for that matter.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
well if your already playing guitar [hopefully] bass will be pretty easy, its usually normal to just hit one string, some people play chords but I dont personally, you CAN add distortion but thats entirely down the musical direction of the band really

unless your making some super hard bass parts it should be really easy (Y)
honestly....your best bet is to do something some what basic and allow your eventual bassist to elaborate upon it because he will know exactly what direction the line should be heading (unless he sucks ass)

that's what my guitarist and i do. he writes a basic bass part i elaborate on it and make it better. likewise i write basic guitar part, he elaborates and makes it better.
Quote by chenfree2239
Obviously you are a retard so i am going to say one thing....
stay away from the bass!

obviously YOU are a retard, because that was the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

anyways, yes, bass can play chords, but since you dont write much for bass, id stick to very simple basslines and let your eventual bassist elaborate on them, just like afratmdk said.
As with playing any instrument once youve been playing another for a long while, technique is the only thing thats gonna get you down and you'll need to learn.

Just run drills and things, "jumping" from one string to another is piss easy with a fingerstyle technique, with a plectrum you need to put a little more thought into it - as the strings are so much further apart than on a guitar, economy picking is really needed.

ie. if youre playing the low E string to move to the A, you'd play a down stroke on the E so you can move through to the A. Likewise, if you were moving from the A to the E, you'd use an upstroke so you can play "through" the E immediately after.

Fingerstyle and economy picking ftw :P

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
o yes and can bass use pick? uv all ben help
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
part of Trumpet Player's Alliance
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Sure can. I use it sometimes since we've been moving in a more synthy/rock, pop/rock direction. I dont generally use them live cause I always lose them!

Being able to play with both fingers and pick is a great asset, it broadens the sound you get and if you drop a pick you've got perfect backup! The soundman wont like you changing all the time tho, your output levels will change when using a pick compared to fingers. I have a much higher output with my fingers than with a pick for instance.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by KewlChristian
ok first of all never touched a bass guitar and im writing the bass part for our band until we get a player. is it easy to hit more than one sting on a bass? would it sound good? is it easy to change strings fast? can you add distortion? wah? thats all plz answer as many as u can

Why wouldn't you be able to play double stops/chords? The trouble is that you can't play them too low down, or you just get a pile of mud, with no definition.

Yes, string skipping is relatively easy.

You can use distortion, wah and any other effect. However, using a guitar pedal for many effect will suck the low end out of the bass. Use a BASS distortion and a BASS wah pedal, as these are the worst bottom end removing culprits.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1