Ok, heres the problem.
I like to keep the gain on my 6505 at 3, max 3.5 (out of ten) because it just sounds at its best then. But for some solo's which are partial build out of tappings, that just isnt enough to sound well.
So i want something that gives me SLIGHTLY more gain and SLIGHTLY more volume.
That means i need some kind of tube screamer, or badmonkey or TS808 to boost my signal when i play solo's, right?
The problem is, i never really liked OD and distortion pedals and stuff, so i never tried to push my tubes with a TS to get a gainboost out of my tubes befor. And i really dunno how to set it up with my amp.
I guess i dont need to place it in the effects loop? And i guess i need to keep the gain knob of the TS all the way down, and the volum all the way up? Or am i wrong?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I would say that you'd want to have the gain slightly above 12 o'clock and the volume at the point where you're satisfied with the volume...
I say just get a Tube Screamer, put it between the axe and amp. Set all the dials to 5 and then monkey with it till you get the sound you are looking for. It's called tone chasing, it's tough but fun!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
You could maybe try a compressor to even out the volume... That'd make low-volume stuff louder, and high volume stuff quieter. However, there's a tradeoff, as always. You'll sacrifice some of your playing dynamics - it depends on whether you're more interested in a more consistent level of volume, or whether you want to be able to play very quiet parts, and loud parts, will highly distinguished volume jumps.
I say raise the gain to get more gain.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
No i wont raise the gain. The gain should remain under 4. Otherwise it gets all too fuzzy. I like the sound of the 6505 very much, but not above gain 4.
Also a compressor is a no no. I hate those things.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I'd say get a TS and use in front of the amp, volume high and gain at zero. But I suggest you try it out at a shop or at least get the pedal from somewhere where you can return it if you don't like it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.