Hello, everyone!

I have a problem with the strings on my guitar. I used to use Ernie Ball Power Slinkie strings (I always keep my main guitar, my LTD Viper 400, in Drop C tuning) and they never lasted long. I switched to the same gauge of strings, but a different brand, DR strings, as well as the Pure Nickel type, and the lifeline hasn't changed. They both last about the same amount of time before they break (one string every two weeks.) I play my guitar between 2-3 hours every day. Plus, now the DR Pure Blues (Pure Nickel) 11-50 strings that I use are doing something odd to my bridge. The outer nickel is rusting away on my thickest string, causing a reddish core of the string to be exposed at the bridge, and now my bridge has reddish-pink marks on it. I've tried to wipe/clean them off but they're pretty much stuck there.

So, what should I do? Should I change string brands, gauges, or stop using the DR Pure Blues strings and get the regular DRs?
It sounds like strings aren't so much the problem but rather, that you might have a cut or sharp point on your saddle(s).
D:
Signature.
Quote by Thebiz
Hello, everyone!

I have a problem with the strings on my guitar. I used to use Ernie Ball Power Slinkie strings (I always keep my main guitar, my LTD Viper 400, in Drop C tuning) and they never lasted long. I switched to the same gauge of strings, but a different brand, DR strings, as well as the Pure Nickel type, and the lifeline hasn't changed. They both last about the same amount of time before they break (one string every two weeks.) I play my guitar between 2-3 hours every day. Plus, now the DR Pure Blues (Pure Nickel) 11-50 strings that I use are doing something odd to my bridge. The outer nickel is rusting away on my thickest string, causing a reddish core of the string to be exposed at the bridge, and now my bridge has reddish-pink marks on it. I've tried to wipe/clean them off but they're pretty much stuck there.

So, what should I do? Should I change string brands, gauges, or stop using the DR Pure Blues strings and get the regular DRs?

whats the humidity in the house? maybe thats it?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
It sounds to me like your string saddles might have gouges in them. I bought an Ernie Ball JP7 (2000$ guitar!) and my A string saddle had a gouge in it you couldnt see but i would break that string about every two weeks. This coming off of using ernie ball strings for 4 years with no breaks at all. So i think you should use EB strings but have your saddles checked out. Some light grade sand paper or a very fine file will fix the problem. If you dont want to do it your self take it to a local guitar center or something and they will help you out. You might also try Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings, John Petrucci had them made for him (but you can still buy them) for all his guitars that were tuned down to C, or whatever really low tunings he was using because it makes it feel like its tuned standard, they are just thicker strings.
Quote by joshua029
whats the humidity in the house? maybe thats it?

I have no idea...I haven't really thought about it...I'll check that when I get home.

To the other two guys...how would I know if the saddle had gouges in them?

EDIT: I have a Tune O Matic bridge with a Stop Tailpiece if that helps.
If it's the same thring every time it's a bur in the saddle. if it's different strings always, stop playing so damn hard!

EDIT: if it's a small bur you can either file it out with a small file and be very very carefull! or you can just buy a new tune-o-matic
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I use Ernie Ball strings exclusively, but tried DR and wasn't impressed at all. Just my opinion. Try the EB strings one more time and I bet you switch back.
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
You can see a little lip or bur in the middle of the saddle, they usually use soft metals for bridge making because it helps with sustain but yeah i would suggest just buying the new bridge because that way if any other saddles are developing burs you will take care of all of them at one time.