Gentlemen, lets talk about the elegant sport of rowing..
Which of you rows here, could be rowing as a student, or at a real sportsclub, I row at my sportsclub. I am practically an allrounder, I'm the bow at the 4-, and the stroke at the 8+, I've been rowing for 3 years, and almost been in the '6x per week' routine but I chose to fixate myself on my guitar..

What about you lads?

About exciting as tennis........in my most honest Americanized opinion...
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
^Lose! I just started rowing at uni, I'm in the bow seat for my college 3rd VIII (that's for internal races, within the university as a whole)...it's great fun, although making me use muscles I've not used in years, so painful too!
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Quote by 1337void
How does actual rowing compare to that done with barbells

Barbells is only for the training of the arms and tummy. Rowing uses primarily the legs, and also the arms, belly, back, and shoulders..

Quote by NielsWho
Barbells is only for the training of the arms and tummy. Rowing uses primarily the legs, and also the arms, belly, back, and shoulders..

nah, rows in the gym are great for the back, especially your lats... never tried the 'real' rowing myself so I'm not sure how the excercises compare, was thinking about joining my schools club this year but they require you to be at practice at 6 am :/
Yes and it is important to note that high weight low repetition barbell exercises develop strength whereas high repetition actual rowin develops more the endurance of muscles.
Thought about it, realized the team at my high school was rather cult-like and I didn't want to be a part of it, so I gave up. Using my friend's erg is a great workout though.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Thought about it, realized the team at my high school was rather cult-like and I didn't want to be a part of it, so I gave up. Using my friend's erg is a great workout though.

Ergs don't even compare to being in a real boat. Good workout, maybe, even slightly enjoyable, no.
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Row, row, row your moat
'round, around the boat
Because if it is around the boat
The boat men then can't row
Quote by gibsonpenguin

+1! (except for ergo part)

Also a reason why I didn't join, half of them were pricks, and didn't enjoy someone from the outside.. They also gave Pfeiffer to eachother..

EDIT:
Quote by Dirk Gently
I always thought it was for snobby douchebags whose parents bought them a BMW 5 series as their first car. My opinion hasn't changed much.

Why, thank you.. Good day to you too, sir..

Last edited by NielsWho at May 6, 2008,
I always thought it was for snobby douchebags whose parents bought them a BMW 5 series as their first car. My opinion hasn't changed much.
Why, thank you.. Good day to you too, sir..

It's nothing personal. Where I live, it's only affluent white kids that do crew.
Hi, I'm Peter
I was stroke on the Olympic team, three seats ahead going for the gold. Caught an ejector crab and ended up flipping the boat.

True story.