What the hell are these I heard they modify the eq of your amp. What are they? What do they do? This is really new to me and I heard they can make your amp less trebely which is what I have been longing for. PLEASE HELP!!!
^ Another way of saying ''I don't know''
Last edited by Horlicks at May 6, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks

Better to admit it than spend his time spouting about stuff he knows nothing about.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Better to admit it than spend his time spouting about stuff he knows nothing about.

What's that supposed to mean?
Quote by Horlicks

haha, i do know actually but why spend my time talking about what they do when the internet is full of well-written information that goes into detail ?
It means, it's better for him to admit that he doesn't know anything about capacitors than to pretend he does and end up spouting rubbish.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
again, i do know about caps, but i'm not going to spend my time typing about it when you've got a beautiful article like that wikipedia link about it

that said, in short: caps are the wires that go from your EQ controls to the reverb tank.

There are ok and then there are better caps. The cheaper ones arent as precise as more expensive ones. Some have a variance of 20% the mallory orange drops are around 5%. 20% is alot of one way or another when you are trying to get your eq right.
Quote by Tackleberry
There are ok and then there are better caps. The cheaper ones arent as precise as more expensive ones. Some have a variance of 20% the mallory orange drops are around 5%. 20% is alot of one way or another when you are trying to get your eq right.

The difference between a good cap and a bad cap is more than just tolerance. It's a also reliability and most importantly, tone.
Quote by Horlicks
^ Maybe I should have put a smiley at the end or something, but I was joking

You should have, because you sometime have a way of meaning things like that.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Orange drop mod is something you can do with a Randall module. I have done the Orange drop mod on my treadplate (recto) module to tighten up the sound. People tend to use either a .022 or a .0001 cap. I used a .0001u cap and it tightened up the sound quite a bit as I'm using this module for a Ibanez XTP707 and it works well with that guitar / module with the mod.
^heyy i live right near worcester ( northboro to be specific) not many mass people on here

the different caps just have different tones, i may be wrong but i beleive that it has something to do with the linearity of how the signal passes through it and such, some sound fatter and more vintage where as other caps can sound thin. different brands also use different materials
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Oh god, look what I've done. I post in one thread about tone caps, and now this. I'm just waiting for somebody to pm me about what color wires they should use to tame the treble on their telecaster.

for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852880
to the threadstarter: is that what you saw? If it is, I was referring to using different kinds of capacitors in your guitar, which can help shape the tone, especially in the treble ranges. Capacitors are used in pedals and amps too, so any time you use them it's important to take into account the type you're using because they have a pronounced effect on tone.
Last edited by Roc8995 at May 6, 2008,