hi

so now im playing on a ibanez s470 with a guitarheads active bridge humbucker(EMG 81 alternative) thru boss mt2 and a zoom 606 into a peavey backstage amp. i want to upgrade the pickups and the amp.
i want to upgrade neck and bridge pickups. i play metal(alternative to black,death,thrash) and also do solos like joe satriani and steve vai. so which pickups will do the best for me? they should handle brutal distortion and have good cleans in my mahogany body. i'm looking into passives, and i think of getting a dimarzio x2n in the bridge, and a dimarzio d activator in the neck.
aswell for the amp, i want it to be a tube amplifier, have good tone for upper-mentioned stuff, aswell as having good cleans and brutal distortion. my decision is based on one of these 3 amps: peavey valveking 112, vox ad15/30vt, bugera 333.
and i dont do gigs, but am going to, so 30wats is pretty much enough.

any suggestions on the gear? tnx in advice.

PS: sorry for the bad english.
Last edited by xtreme2ya at May 6, 2008,
Don't worry about the pickups now. Wait until you decide which amp you get, THEN upgrade. After you get your amp, you can decide how you want to tweak your tone, do you follow?

You'll get more responses for the amp suggestions in the GGA forum. This forum is for ACTUALLY building gear. Like, literally building a guitar.
I've reported the post to a mod so it can be moved.

AND DO NOT BUMP after 10 minutes.
NO BUMPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dimarzio X2n is a good choice for a bridge pickup.
Amp, get Carvin V3 or a 6505+ if you want to be "brutal". Kranks are also supposed to be good, I dunno, I never used one.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
well i put it here becos im customizing my guitar. and yeah, i was going to buy a new amp first, then the pickups, effects etc.
Well, you're not gonna get many responses here about your amp.
Pickup threads can go in GGA, as well...

Don't bump, it's not allowed. It's fine if there's been no responses after a couple of days...

Also, don't double post. Edit your posts. That button exists for a reason.

As far as amp suggestions go, Add a Randall RG50TC to that list.
Quote by xtreme2ya
hi

so now im playing on a ibanez s470 with a guitarheads active bridge humbucker(EMG 81 alternative) thru boss mt2 and a zoom 606 into a peavey backstage amp. i want to upgrade the pickups and the amp.
i want to upgrade neck and bridge pickups. i play metal(alternative to black,death,thrash) and also do solos like joe satriani and steve vai. so which pickups will do the best for me? they should handle brutal distortion and have good cleans in my mahogany body. i'm looking into passives, and i think of getting a dimarzio x2n in the bridge, and a dimarzio d activator in the neck.
aswell for the amp, i want it to be a tube amplifier, have good tone for upper-mentioned stuff, aswell as having good cleans and brutal distortion. my decision is based on one of these 3 amps: peavey valveking 112, vox ad15/30vt, bugera 333.
and i dont do gigs, but am going to, so 30wats is pretty much enough.

any suggestions on the gear? tnx in advice.

PS: sorry for the bad english.

if you want that older Satriani and Vai sound you could throw a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck or bridge or a PAF in the neck or bridge. Satriani indorsed those pickups since before Surfing with the Alien came out
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
yes they would.

i play in a progressive punk rock band with metalish tendenicies and they do fine on my Schector C1, My modified strat and a custom guitar im still working on.

the PAFs cut through the mix really well, great for recording, i use a good amount of gain in my band and they shred. so i would say hell yeah for metal
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

I was going to suggest a Paf Pro but only for the neck position, Id say not for the bridge for what you want as in the bridge it just doesnt have the bass response you need for a really brutal chunk when riffing and palm muting. In the neck however its fat and woody with a great twang thrown in there for good measure, it really hits the satriani/vai tone in the neck if you back off the tone a little, it also cleans up really well if you back off on the volume on a dirty channel. Im not sure id pair one with the X2N you were looking at though, i think id look at a Breed, Tonezone, Steves Special or a Super distortion 1 or 3.

Saying all that don't even think about pickups untill you have a firm idea of what amp you are going to play. Solid state amps don't appreciate pickup changes in the same way a tube amp does so go tube if you dont you may end up regretting it.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at May 6, 2008,
Quote by xtreme2ya
what can you suggest as an amp?

i would suggest a mesa dual rect, a 5150 II or a Bugera 6262. i have one of each of those and they all sound killer. except my 5150 II cleans are pretty crappy and the 5150 and mesa can be pretty pricey. might can find a used 5150/5150 II head or combo cheap used or even a Mesa. but if on a budget i would say the 6262 over somthing like the VK. the cleans and distortion on the amp is killer for metal and beyond.
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by halikus
I was going to suggest a Paf Pro but only for the neck position, Id say not for the bridge for what you want as in the bridge it just doesnt have the bass response you need for a really brutal chunk when riffing and palm muting. In the neck however its fat and woody with a great twang thrown in there for good measure, it really hits the satriani/vai tone in the neck if you back off the tone a little, it also cleans up really well if you back off on the volume on a dirty channel. Im not sure id pair one with the X2N you were looking at though, i think id look at a Breed, Tonezone, Steves Special or a Super distortion 1 or 3.

Saying all that don't even think about pickups untill you have a firm idea of what amp you are going to play. Solid state amps don't appreciate pickup changes in the same way a tube amp does so go tube if you dont you may end up regretting it.

i agree, a super distortion or a Vai pickup might be better in the bridge. im a fan of Dimarzio over stuff like seymor Duncan and EMGs and all that.
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by xtreme2ya
why is it better than the vox?

Roland's modeling has better metal tones, IMO. Plus, it's louder than either of the models you specified.

I wouldn't put a Super Distortion in, that's more of an 80's metal pickup.

Anyway, let's stop talking about pickups here, guys. He needs a better amp first.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Roland's modeling has better metal tones, IMO. Plus, it's louder than either of the models you specified.

I wouldn't put a Super Distortion in, that's more of an 80's metal pickup.

Anyway, let's stop talking about pickups here, guys. He needs a better amp first.

it is louder, but wouldnt it be too loud? i mean 60 watts for bedroom practice(well yeah, i will be gigging, but mainly this amp will be for bedroom playing). so will the roland cube-30 have the same features? cos 30 watts is the best option. and really all this modeling stuff is great, but really what i need is a good clean tone, metal riff-type distortion, and high-gain lead-metal distortion. so for this one the cube is the best?
about the pickups, how the super dist 2 and 3? mb they will be more for metal? but really, im thinking more into x2n, cos i love that cutting tone of chuck shuldiner of death, and while its big output, it'll suit metal great, i think...

and yeah, another question, when i play on distortion(mt-2) i cant really hear a thing. its hard to explain, i get a lot of other sounds in the background, like string buzzing, some harmonics(happens sometimes), and all that stuff. and i want to have only the sound of what i play. i tried guitars and amps in the music store, well it was fine there. so what is the main problem? i think its the amp, or cables, or my zoom 606. i dont think its the pickups, cos i got that problem on my previous guitar, which was an ibanez grg170dx. and btw is this called "feedback"?
If this amp is strictly for bedroom use...then all those tube amps will be "too loud".
Yeah, the 30 has pretty much the same features as the 60.

I keep on saying don't about pickups, because you don't need to worry about pickups. Think about them AFTER you get your amp.

As for the MT-2...You should probably try playing with less gain, and a pedal that doesn't suck.

Feedback is a high pitched sound that can occur if you're sitting too close to your amp with too much gain.
doesent the vox have a wattage changing switch on the back? cos that would be helpful.

and i didnt get it. the problem on these sounds is in the mt-2? i tried the dist on the zoom 606, same problem.
Simple answer...modelling amps don't like pedals, and they like digital multi FX even less. If you must use them then use the clean channel but don't expect miracles, if you try and use them on the distorted models then it's just going to sound like dog crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, I think the Vox does. Remember, that one isn't a tube amp, it's a hybrid. If you've tried it, and like the metal tones you get from it...By all means.

However, with hybrids and solid states...wattage isn't an issue when it comes to excessive volume. It pretty much sounds the same at low volumes as it does with higher volumes.

On one hand, maybe your guitar's active pickup sounds terrible through your solid state amp. Your amp could also be terrible.
Have you tried your guitar through a different amp?
yeah i pretty much did, on a stagg ga20. but i cant quite understand. the pickup picks up vibration, and the vibration by other strings at that point(these are the other sounds, that im talking about), sending the signal to the amp, which amplifies the signal. how come these same other sounds do sound on 1 amp, and dont on the other amp? or it is based on the amount of gain, im putting distortion.

steven seagull, yeah i understand that, but my amp isnt a moddeling one, its a peavey backstage.
my amp only has high and low eq set up, which are:
high-2:30 o clock
low-3:30 o clock
Quote by xtreme2ya
yeah i pretty much did, on a stagg ga20. but i cant quite understand. the pickup picks up vibration, and the vibration by other strings at that point(these are the other sounds, that im talking about), sending the signal to the amp, which amplifies the signal. how come these same other sounds do sound on 1 amp, and dont on the other amp? or it is based on the amount of gain, im putting distortion.

steven seagull, yeah i understand that, but my amp isnt a moddeling one, its a peavey backstage.

lol, why did I think you had a Cube?

In that case pedals should sound ok on clean, but still like dog crap on the gain channel. It might just be the settings you're using though, the MT2 is a crappy sounding pedal at best.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
lol, why did I think you had a Cube?

In that case pedals should sound ok on clean, but still like dog crap on the gain channel. It might just be the settings you're using though, the MT2 is a crappy sounding pedal at best.

so can u suggest some settings then? and i know that mt2 isnt the best, so what can you suggest then, a metal muff mb? 1 was looking on a boss ml-2.
if you play metal, the bugera is a good choice, and your emg 81 should sound better, hence emg pickups are meant to drive the front end of a tube amp. buy the amp first and then go from there. best of luck.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
tried a vox ad60vt, well it isnt so great for metal. its a great amp, but not for metal. so ill be looking at the valveking 112/bugera 333/roland cube 30x/60x. the best choice i think is the bugera, but i cant find it in my country, and you now the jazz, dont buy it until u play it. so is the cube 30x good for metal, and stuff like vai and satriani?
so ill stick with the cube then, until i try it.. what other alternatives to look on? and the problem is, if the amp isnt very popular, i dont think theres much chance that i'll find them in my country(latvia).
btw i tried a crate shockwave head, its pretty good, but beyond my budget...