it seems that my from going between D and E on my E string in some songs the little plastic bridge (no clue what its called) at the top of the bass has started to wear down, is there anyway this can be fixed so that my E string isnt too low?
wakka wakka wakka wakka
Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
The little plastic bit is called the nut. Now, nuts wearing down can be a sign of cheap nuts.

A cheap nut will hold a variety of problems - poor intonation (how intune you are at each fret), bad tuning stability and what youre experiencing, poor playability.

You can pry out the nut (once you've taken all the strings off) and I would suggest two solutions -

1) DA GHETTO FIX - put a little bit of wood under the nut to raise it, this could alter your intonation and action tho.

2) The proper fix - replace the nut. Nuts are fairly easy to replace and you can find guides on the internet (or ask for help in GB&C), a new nut will help all the symptoms and can improve the playability, tuning stability and intonation of your bass. If you have any doubts, take it to a pro.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
k thanks, but how much would it cost to get it replaced, its a relitively new bass
wakka wakka wakka wakka
If its new, check if it's under warrenty!

Nut's themselves arnt very expensive. Maybe $10 for one from stewmac (an online supplier).

If you wanted a pro to carry out the work they'd probably charge you for labour for anything between $20-$40+ per hour. A nut job isnt that long a repair tho, should only take an hour or so. If you want exact prices, ring up a local instrument repair person or luthier and get a quote.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
^ +1. Tho', if you're gonna replace the nut, you might as well make it a bone one. It's a cheap improvement to your tone, and doesn't cost much more than a plastic one.

And it's more environmentally sound.

I was sure the bone nut I bought for the Rick smelt a bit beefy when I was filing it down...
Quote by Jonnomainman
Nut's themselves arnt very expensive... A nut job isnt that long a repair tho...

wakka wakka wakka wakka
Last edited by milldog at May 6, 2008,