What's up everybody. I played guitar for about 7 years when I was a teen and in my early 20's. I'm 31 now and I've decided to get back into playing. Until I could afford some slightly better practice equipment I picked up a Squier Strat from Craigslist and a little Randall 15 watt practice amp from eBay.

Back in the day when I used to play I used a 30 or so watt Fender amp and a DOD Thrash Master pedal and that was pretty much it so I've never tried doing what I want to do with this new setup.

Anyway, like I said I bought a Randall because even though I'd never played one I know that Dimebag Darrell and Anthrax use them. And besides long hair Metallica, Anthrax and Pantera are near the top of the list when it comes to my favorite metal bands. I mostly play thrash so I figured it was the best choice since I was never very impressed with the Fender distortion on my old amp (which is the reason I started using a pedal).

The other day I finally got enough cash together so I ordered me up a Jackson Dinky and a 1 x 12 Crate Flex Wave practice amp. I really wanted another Randall but I decided on a better guitar and sacrificed on the amp this time around. The Crate has a 12 inch speaker and the reviews say it's got decent sound so I went with it. The thing is, I REALLY dig this Randall distortion and I have doubts that I'm gonna like the Crate distortion better, so I came up with an idea and I'm hoping you guys can tell me if it'll work or not. I'm still waiting on my stuff to be delivered so I can't even try it yet, but in the meantime I thought I'd get some input on what others think. The main reason I went with another amp in the first place was because even though this tiny Randall is damn loud and sounds great, there's no reverb which really bugs me.

So I was wondering if I could run the Crate clean and then run the Randall distorted, then take a patch cable and connect the output of the Randall to the input of the Crate. Then I plug my guitar into the Randall. Logically it seems that this way I should be able to get the Randall distortion coming through the Crate with the addition of reverb being added by the Crate.

So would this work and if so, how do you think it'll sound? If you guys think the result will be less than satisfactory or won't work at all, let me know so I can possibly start looking for a distortion pedal in case the Crate distortion sounds like crap.

Thanks.
if you do that something will melt fry fizzle pop kersplode kaboom
and it wont sound very good either.
Shut up and play your guitar!
If your Randall has an fx loop you can "send" it's signal to the "input" or "return" section of your Crate. This will feed your Crate amp the pre-amp signal from your Randall, giving you the distortion tone your looking for, but your Crate reverb will only be on your Crate.
Oh, I forgot about your switch to the Randall for dirty sounds and the Crate for cleans. If you do the above, like you mentioned in the 4th paragraph of your message you will not be able to switch from one to another. You'll need an a/b box, which means you'd only be able to use one amp at a time.
Or get an effects pedal with two outputs and run them in stereo.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Thanks for the info. ;-)

I think I'll just throw the Randall in the bedroom in case I need to give my wife the heavy metal wakeup again. I already gave her one heavy metal wakeup since I started back playing and she was PISSED. There's nothing like waking up to a few open E power chords and some pinch harmonics. :-0
Quote by Matt_Foley
Thanks for the info. ;-)

I think I'll just throw the Randall in the bedroom in case I need to give my wife the heavy metal wakeup again. I already gave her one heavy metal wakeup since I started back playing and she was PISSED. There's nothing like waking up to a few open E power chords and some pinch harmonics. :-0

i would tread with caution my girlfriend hates getting woken up by guitar noise. Seriously tho unless you have high spec amps like adam jones of tool theres no point combining them you are better getting one good amp