I can't seem to load Youtube right now, but did Lane generally not use a whole lot of angle when picking? He seems to have had really percussive defined notes even when he speed-picked runs.

Could he have picked faster had he angled his pick more? Or was he just so good at picking it didn't even matter? Sorry for the kinda broad questions.
Quote by fixationdarknes
I can't seem to load Youtube right now, but did Lane generally not use a whole lot of angle when picking? He seems to have had really percussive defined notes even when he speed-picked runs.

Could he have picked faster had he angled his pick more? Or was he just so good at picking it didn't even matter? Sorry for the kinda broad questions.

think about it.... could he have really have been anymore awesome? Would changing his pick angle have made him better?

I say no & no. The guy was freakin amazing. Learn from it, don't judge it based on what you've been told is the ideal way to play.

If anything this should be a lesson in how there is not one "best" way to pick, or play anything for that matter.
Who cares?
If your after a percussive sound, find the way that's best for you instead of copying other players.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
he used oscillary picking , which is an up down motion rather than a sideways motion

think of it as writing with a pen/pencil

if your getting confused as to what i mean by up down , lay your hand in picking position touching the strings with most of your hand (parallel) and then up is AWAY from the strings/guitar body.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
I know what oscillation is, as I use it myself. But I was just wondering as what Lane's picking angle was out of curiosity. White Devil, I don't see what's wrong with studying other guitarists; I didn't claim I was going to copy him. I'd merely take what he's studied and learned and apply it to myself.