hey,

im having to have a bunch of small (like 2 foot) instrument cable runs. i have a whole lot of 1/4" mono plugs to use. i also have a couple hundred feet of zipcord. i tried my 1st test of making a cable but it buzzes like crazy. it makes the sound like when you hold the plug in your hand. what could be causeing it to make that sound. it looked at other premade cabvle and it looks like i wired and soldered correctly. any opinions?
Is the wire shielded? If not then it is probably picking up hum from your lights.
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
sounds like there might be a short somewhere along the cable. do you have a multimeter?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
oh and i dont see how there can be a short between the two, there got to be like 1/4" of rubber between the two conductors
Quote by sethne
the cable is pretty much this

https://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?SessionID=393F1237A1FB2432B8EC83E90366CFE4&CS=tjb&StoreType=BtoC&ProductID=340&Target=direct_checkout.asp

i do not have a multi meter

the hum goes away to some degree when i touch one of the sleeve but gets louder when i touch the tip.

That cable is unshielded. As an instrument cable, it's basically useless. If the gauge is heavy enough, you can make speaker cable out of it.
i do use it for all of my speaker cable. i dont understand though, if its not picking up interference when its connected to a speaker, then why does it when its connected to a guitar?
Quote by sethne
i do use it for all of my speaker cable. i dont understand though, if its not picking up interference when its connected to a speaker, then why does it when its connected to a guitar?

When its connecting to a speaker its carrying an amplified signal. When its connecting to a guitar its carrying an unamplified signal. The amplifier amplifies both the guitar signal AND the interferance in this case.
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
oooo thanks...

does home depot or radioshack sell any of the shielded cable that i could use to make my 2 footers
Not easy to find the shielded stuff in bulk. At least not at local hardware stores. People going to HD arent looking for guitar cables to often.
any chance radio shack sells some kind of shielded cable without ends