So after 1 year of guitar playing i realized that i was kinda good.

BUT i just dont know a ****ing bit of theory.

I really enjoy playing guitar, i could play 10 hour a day whitout eating or taking a piss so im think im ready to learn ALL the theory possible (exept the one for music reading skills) I dont know if its possible to learn 'everything'.

So here my question.

how many time if i practice 4-5 hour a day would i take to learn everything?

is it even possible to learn everything?

where should i start?

ps: Dont forget i dont wanna learn to read music.

Sorry for my bad english im a french canadian mother****er.

O and im learning this because i would like to become a nice shredder and write my own songs ( of what i heard you need a bunch of theory for this :P ).
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Last edited by Hcmanu at May 6, 2008,
Private lessons for classical guitar + theory lessons. Books and websites are also useful but not as good.
How do you expect to learn theory and not understanding reading music?

To understand everything about theory you need to know how to read music.

I suggest you learn how to read music before digging too deep into music theory. Get a good music instructor too... I think you need it.
it's impossible to learn everything, it'll take you many years to get to an advanced level, and you need to learn how to read music.
You are willing to put in the time to "learn all the theory" yet you don't want to learn to read music?

I assure you that reading music will be very helpful if you want to advance far in your theory studies.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Hcmanu
So after 1 year of guitar playing i realized that i was kinda good.

BUT i just dont know a ****ing bit of theory.

I really enjoy playing guitar, i could play 10 hour a day whitout eating or taking a piss so im think im ready to learn ALL the theory possible (exept the one for music reading skills) I dont know if its possible to learn 'everything'.

So here my question.

is it even possible to learn everything?

where should i start?

ps: Dont forget i dont wanna learn to read music.

Sorry for my bad english im a french canadian mother****er.

O and im learning this because i would like to become a nice shredder and write my own songs ( of what i heard you need a bunch of theory for this :P ).

A couple of points:

- no one here knows "everything" about music theory (although a few may argue that point). So no one can answer this question.

- you want to learn everything about theory..... but you don't want to read ??
learn to read man. its the language that music theory is taught and best understood in.

I would suggest starting with learning to read. Once you are fluent in the language, and have a decent repertoire of music that you can play. Then start studying theory. Start with the most basic concepts, and build 1 step at a time from there. It takes years

take some lessons or a class if you can.
Okay so i should learn to read music. ( i kinda agree because if i wanna be a music teacher ill need this)

Okay so Learning Music is a must if i really wanna get deep.

But seriously Where should i start ?

FACEBOOK
Quote by psychodelia
You are willing to put in the time to "learn all the theory" yet you don't want to learn to read music?

I assure you that reading music will be very helpful if you want to advance far in your theory studies.

i'm surprised you didn't note that learning all theory would be virtually impossible. the reason being TS is that music is constantly evolving. to learn the equivalent of college level theory would take you (much like college) 4-6 years. thats not including composition.
O yes and i know that if u wanna solo over a song u need theory.

Know in wich key the song is.. etc

Well theory = A big jungle to me.

FACEBOOK
Quote by z4twenny
i'm surprised you didn't note that learning all theory would be virtually impossible.

There are a few things that I could say, but I'm hurrying to get a paper done I'll let other people handle the rest
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Wow im the exact same i know some i would shud suggest taking online stuff its not half bad or a dvd or a book its pretty tiresome and boring but hey im the one who wants a career in music anyway so you might aswell.

I wudnt think itll be posible i mean guitarists that have been playing for 50 years still learn new things soo i think itll be aout a couple of months just for basics and intermidiate.

Its pretty hard but you seem enthusiastic so i would give it a try lol

Start with cromatic scales minor , major and so on then start to write music but not in tab you know notes and things

at this point im jabbering on soo.
Basicaly use online **** and then just star with basics

and i love the flying V

im a les paul owner yeay

nath
Got Jah ??
If i understand.

I can learn theory whitout learning to read music But at SOME point i will need it?

FACEBOOK
jeez, i can tell your canadian...

reading music is one of the most basic things if you want to know EVERYTHING about theory.
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Just forget the goddamn EVERYTHING about theory.

I wanna be able to solo, know whats the key of X song,scales etc

I know peoples who know that and dosent know how to read music or they do ?

FACEBOOK
^ you technically can learn music theory without learning to read music, thats what i did. however i don't recommend my path as i'm sure its the more difficult.

as for knowing the keys of songs and things like that, thats really pretty basic for the most part.
i've been a musician for about 6 years and i've got grade 5 music theory, it isnt easy and it wont take weeks to learn, it'll take YEARS
KAPTAINS - Coming Soon!
-
Epiphone G-400 Custom
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
-
Crybaby
Digitech Bad Monkey
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Boss BF3
-
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Marshall G50RCD
Quote by Hcmanu

I think you if you try to frame it as something you're going to learn as fast as possible
then you're just going to end up frustrated. It can take time for things to sink in and
often you must figure out several other puzzle pieces before you can figure out
another. Enjoy the process of learning about it.

You don't necessarily have to read music. It's mostly all explained in narrative
and diagrams, but examples are usually written in standard. So, it can't hurt to
learn it.

Quote by Hcmanu

where should i start?

Get yourself a book or two and do some reading. Keep in mind music theory is
completely independent of instrument. There's learning theory, and then there's
the practice and application of it on your chosen instrument. Some people confuse
the two. You'll need to be doing some of both.
^ +1 hundred million

i recommend music theory for dummies books..... seriously, there is one. go get it, read it front to back like 9 times and do the exercises.
c'mon, i could read music when i was 2 and a bit... i only knew the alphabet up to g, but dammit, i could point any note out on a stave! point i'm making is that it ain't hard.

I have a book called the complete guitarist, publsihed by DK, which has theory in it related to guitar. Combine that with a basic theory glossary (probably availabl eonline somewhere) and you've got a decent start
My Gear:
Ibanez SA
Shine Tele (with Leather scratchplate )
HondoII Bass ????! (Broken )
Cello (Ebay jobby )
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Peavy Backstage 30
Zoom G2.1U
Tascam GT-2

Mr Blue Sky