My Boss DS-2 sounds pretty crappy with my ADVT50 amp (sounds way better with my micro cube) so I was wondering would the pedal sound better on a loop (I'd have to modify the amp since it doesn't come with one).
The sound gets kinda muffled and muddy when the pedal is on. I thought about it being the settings on the amp but it sounds bad with any setting compared to how it sounds on the cube.

Cheers
You use the loop really for more flange/chorus effects, so that they aren't distorted, instead they affect the already distorted tone. If you do choose to put in on your loop, you're going to want to put it at the very beginning. The only real tonal difference will be heard when tweaking the EQ. I think, though no two amps are the same.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Distortion pedals aren't meant to be used with modeling amps.
Distortion and pedals like that usually go in front of the amp. Chorus and delay and stuff like that usually go in the loop.
And, getting that amp modded for an effects loop will probably cost as much as the amp itself.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
the Valvetronix amps just don't like distortion pedals. As a general thing, modelling amps don't, but i think cubes take them better than most.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
To be honest mate you'd get a much better sound by saving up a bit more and going for a tube amp rather than modding your valvetronix, which won't be cheap at all. If you get a half decent tube amp you would most likely not even bother with the DS-2 because you'd have nice distortion on tap.
Btw, don't be suprised if you get a lot of responses similar to this one.

EDIT: Just so you know I'm not blasting the valvetronix, they are pretty good amps for what they are. I just mean if you are wanting to push your tone to the next level which is what it sounds like you want to do.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Last edited by SurfinWithSatch at May 6, 2008,
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
To be honest mate you'd get a much better sound by saving up a bit more and going for a tube amp rather than modding your AVT, which won't be cheap at all. If you get a half decent tube amp you would most likely not even bother with the DS-2 because you'd have nice distortion on tap.
Btw, don't be suprised if you get a lot of responses similar to this one.

i think he's talking about the Vox AD50VT amps, not Marshall AVTs. Because my DS-2 sounded muffled and muddy through my Vox AD50VT too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i think he's talking about the Vox AD50VT amps, not Marshall AVTs. Because my DS-2 sounded muffled and muddy through my Vox AD50VT too.

Yeah sorry I meant to put ADVT but missed the D out but I've just changed it to valvetronix now. AVTs already have an effects loop.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
you're not supposed to use distortion pedals through modeling amps....thats the issue....stick with the models on the amp......better suggestion.....get a tube amp
Don't run distortion through the loop - if I remember correctly, the difference is that the loop affects the amp's tone while the front affects the guitar's. It'll muddy your sound even worse through a loop.

Besides - modeling amps are that way so you don't need an external pedal. If you're using a dst pedal and piling more gain on the already od'd channel, it's gonna sound muddy no matter where you put it in the loop.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you