Page 1 of 4
I don't get it. They say to "go against the grain of society" and think for yourself, yet they turn around and Say you can't do this, and you can't do that. Anyone that does drugs is automatically a bad person.
I don't know if alot of them are like that, but the ones that live around me are. Your thoughts on straight-edge?
whatever makes them feel rebellious
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Not you too UG!

Everyones been talking about this today?!
Is this the official let's-discuss-Straight edge-day??

////rant

I don't really care, it's just another sub-culture thinghy to make young people feel like they belong. Nothing new here
I myself am straight-edge and I can tell you I'm not like that at all.
Straight-edge is just supposed to be a pledge that says you won't drink, do drugs, or have sex before marriage. That's it.
These people that say that stuff are stupid.
There's a difference between being straight- edge and being holier- than thou towards people who aren't. I know a bunch of straight- edge kids who are fine with other people drinking and smoking around them... I actually know one who babysat his friends on Salvia once.
It's the same kind of people who brag about how much weed they smoked and how much they drank last weekend, only these guys don't.

Personally I don't care what people do, rather than imposing a lifestyle on people.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think its cool to not do drugs or smoke or drink, but if it says no sex im out
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I'd just like to say that Minor Threat sucks.
They basically started straight-edge.
Some straight-edge people are cool, but the ones that preach to you about it are douchebags.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I don't get it. I've never ever met a single person like this, I only hear abuot them on the internet.

meh

Quote by isaachary
I myself am straight-edge and I can tell you I'm not like that at all.
Straight-edge is just supposed to be a pledge that says you won't drink, do drugs, or have sex before marriage. That's it.
These people that say that stuff are stupid.

But once you're married you're getting wasted? Sounds like a blast, i'll come.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
I don't get it. I've never ever met a single person like this, I only hear abuot them on the internet.

meh

But once you're married you're getting wasted? Sounds like a blast, i'll come.

No the drinking and drugs part is for life.
God knows I'm going to have a whole **** load of sex after marriage.
That's really not what straight edge is, I used to have a negative view of them because of all the gang-like violence, but it's really a very positive thing. Yeah, of course there are a few jackasses who beat people up for smoking or drinking or for no reason at all, but most of them aren't like that at all. They just made a choice against drugs, alcohol, and promiscuous sex and they're probably healthier than most of us for it. Most straight edge have a lot of non edge friends and are very open minded they just won't drink or do drugs. Also, don't you like to feel part of a group that accepts you and has the same beliefs as you? It's less pressure to do drugs if straight edge people hang out with other edge people. A lot of the straight edge bands are very positive and they have a cool culture. Sure, there are a lot of stupid ganglike edge people who ruin it, but for the most part it's very positive.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by isaachary
No the drinking and drugs part is for life.
God knows I'm going to have a whole **** load of sex after marriage.

Yes, I was being facetious.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Some straight-edge people are cool, but the ones that preach to you about it are douchebags.

This
These threads are ****ing stupid. They are full of misconceptions and assumptions about what straight edge is or isn't.
Straight Edge is a lifestyle originating in the DC music scene in the early 80s
Straight Edge is a life-long commitment. If you aren't edge now, you can never say that you were.

Straight Edge is not preachy, violent, or a gang.
Straight Edge is not the condition of being sober. You have to claim edge knowingly and willingly, you can't say "I don't drink, so I guess that makes me straight edge.
Straight Edge is not stupid, lame, or a "way to rebel", it is simply a choice that some people feel is in their best interests.

I myself am not straight edge, I considered claiming for a long time, but I knew that I would never be able to commit to something like that for my entire life. but I respect and understand those that do claim, as well as those who don't.

EDIT:
Quote by Sleaze Disease

Minor Threat are one of the msot influential American punk bands of all time.
I don't drink, or do drugs or anything. I'm not against it, I just don't do it. That doesn't mean I'm straight-edge, right?

EDIT: Because some of my friends turned into hardcore fags once they went straight-edge.
I always thought it went hand in hand with the hardcore punk movements, and involved a lot more than that. I was always led to believe that straight edge meant no Cigarettes, no Alcohol, no Caffeine, No drugs, No Meat, no sex (ever).

To be honest, I really respect that. But I would never be able to do it myself. Im trying to convince myself to try going a whole month straight edge, but I need to find a month where there probably wont be many wild parties
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by mr.joopy987
These threads are ****ing stupid. They are full of misconceptions and assumptions about what straight edge is or isn't.
Straight Edge is a life-long commitment. If you aren't edge now, you can never say that you were.

Straight Edge is not the condition of being sober. You have to claim edge knowingly and willingly, you can't say "I don't drink, so I guess that makes me straight edge.
Straight Edge is not stupid, lame, or a "way to rebel", it is simply a choice that some people feel is in their best interests.

I myself am not straight edge, I considered claiming for a long time, but I knew that I would never be able to commit to something like that for my entire life. but I respect and understand those that do claim, as well as those who don't.

Straight Edge people are wankers.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
i don't drink or smoke or do drugs or any of that
but i think straight edge people are ****ing stupid
there's not really any point showing it off
and i don't really see the point in persuading other people to be straight edge because that just makes you a dick
Rockin' shit
It's cool that people want to live a substance-free and non-promiscuous lifestyle, but imposing it on others is a big no-no. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't go around snatching hotdogs out of people's hands and throwing them to the ground.

Quote by mr.joopy987

You speak of it as if it were a cult. Although there may the "pure" straight-edgers (for lack of better terminology) who would completely agree with what you're saying, you also have to acknowledge the fact that there are also those who have adopted the lifestyle in a way that: 1. makes them feel like they're a part of something and/or 2. annoys the hell out of people.
Peace.
Last edited by crazygluedmybut at May 6, 2008,
As far as I know the point of straight edge isn't to go against the grain of society, it's to live a cleaner lifestyle. Also I am straight edge and I don't preach to anyone, I go out with my friends who drink but I just have coke :p It's each persons choice. I hear a lot more people moaning about straight edge kids and how stupid their lifestyle choice is than I do straight edge people moaning about drinkers or druggies.
Quote by meh!

I think it's ridiculous too, but it's part of the lifestyle. Lifelong really means lifelong when it comes to straight edge, and some people take it very seriously.
Quote by mr.joopy987

EDIT:

Elaborate please. Commitment to exactly what?
a real "straight-edge" shouldn't think that others are bad for doing those things, but posers get that hypocritical thing going that you mentioned

EDIT: Agreed on the Minor Threat note!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at May 6, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman

To not harming your body with alcohol, drugs or cigarettes. Some people include promiscuous sex in there as well.
Quote by YourMessiah666
i consider myself a straight-edge. i dont smoke or do drugs or drink. but i have had sex before..

Were you married? Coz if you were, you are apparently in the clear...
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by mr.joopy987

EDIT:

Thank you, one of the only intelligent posts in this thread. I've just gotten back into Minor Threat after disliking them for a while, they're pretty damn awesome.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by mr.joopy987

And your point is?
Just because they're popular in the hardcore punk scene, does not mean they're necessarily good.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by KevVin
Oh, god. Does it hurt?

On these forums it can.
my question for everyone is: why did someone decide to make a sub-culture of people that have the same views on life as most people did before the 60's? how can you consider "straight-edge" being a sub-culture at all when, as far as i can tell, they just believe in the same things our grandparents and ancestors before them believed in?
Quote by TheQuailman

A commitment to not drinking, doing drugs, or having sex out of wedlock.
Page 1 of 4