Okay, I know this is common as heck probably.. but seriously.
I've failed at getting a popular good lead solo guitar tone like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and your billions of other famous guitarists.

I'm not looking for something complex.. something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3YjyoX-rIs

sure there's a good deal of style involved in playing, but when he starts to play Jingle Bells (lol) he is hitting straight notes, no bending no nothing and the notes just sound good.

how do you get a killer tone like that?

I've tried like everything.. guitar, reverb, delay..
none of the 3 seem to do it.
whats your amp?

its probably that holding you back
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i dont think its humanly possible to physically do such a thing
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Mattrach si the best youtube guitarist, he'll most likely outplay vai and satch given some time. Vai and satch are probably the best guitarists on the planet. You need really good gear and tons of practice, the njsut mess with EQ/effects/keep in mind the order in which you have your pedals makes a big difference on the tone your effects loop gives you.
maybe there the best in the rock/shred world. but lots of jazz and classical guitarsists play circles around them.
You don't need tons of practice to play a 12 on the B-string 6 times with a chance to only bend 2 of those notes.
which is what I was mentioning, there is for more then style involved in getting a good tone.

and my amp is a Peavey Classic 50.. I think it's an older model of it.. but it's a wonderful amp, I love the tone out of it.. the distortion sounds great but it just doesn't sound as full as that guys tone which is what I'd like.
Quote by TechnicolorType
You don't need tons of practice to play a 12 on the B-string 6 times with a chance to only bend 2 of those notes.
which is what I was mentioning, there is for more then style involved in getting a good tone.

and my amp is a Peavey Classic 50.. I think it's an older model of it.. but it's a wonderful amp, I love the tone out of it.. the distortion sounds great but it just doesn't sound as full as that guys tone.

oh! i was expecting an MG or spider or something

its probably the difference in voicing, the C50 is gritty and british sounding, wheras satch+co have a smoother american voiced tone.

TS808 is a warm smooth ish OD pedal, try that for a boost perhaps
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
You're playing everything really really straight. Loosen up! Try some vibrato!
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Uh no, my style varies through lots of stuff.
I hate the sound of a straight note that is supposed to be sustained.
I always use much vibrato.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
oh! i was expecting an MG or spider or something

its probably the difference in voicing, the C50 is gritty and british sounding, wheras satch+co have a smoother american voiced tone.

TS808 is a warm smooth ish OD pedal, try that for a boost perhaps

nah :P:P then I'd know for a fact why I couldn't.. :P

Even on the Soldano half-stack in the room across that hall from doesn't sound like that. Has a tubescreamer on the pedalboard too :P

isn't my amp though..

but yeah, maybe I need to try a smoother amp or something..
planning on getting something bigger this summer.
Try turning down the treble and the gain a little bit. That might help you get a tone closer than that in the video.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

i saw somewhere that mattrach uses a zoom effects pedal to record his home videos.I dont know what he used in this as youtube is acting retarded and wont let me see videos so i cant comment...
Well, Vai uses a DS-1 + overdrive, and Ibanez is making him the JEMini... maybe you can get that one?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
lmao boss ds-1 distortion.
maybe overdrive but theres no way he uses a distortion box for his tone, thats definatley an amp distortion otherwise it'd be real flat and thin.

but ya :P

guitar I doubt I'ma get a new one soon as I just got a new one.. kinda'
but yeahh.
prolly' get an amp sooner or later
Quote by TechnicolorType
lmao boss ds-1 distortion.
maybe overdrive but theres no way he uses a distortion box for his tone, thats definatley an amp distortion otherwise it'd be real flat and thin.

Actually, he does use a modded DS-1 (by Keeley I think).
Added on to his amp distortion?

Because there's no way a 40 dollar distortion pedal is going to give you his 1 million dollar tone.

distortion stompboxes usually plain out suck..
well, when keeley mods your pedals, you pay ALOT more than 40 bucks.
and remember, most tone comes from the fingers.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Added on to his amp distortion?

Because there's no way a 40 dollar distortion pedal is going to give you his 1 million dollar tone.

distortion stompboxes usually plain out suck..

He uses a TC Electronic G System.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/steve_G_large.jpg

I'm guessing the DS-1 and TS-9 (both modded) he uses are for lead boosts.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Vai has used several DS-1s, some Keeley modded and some that are stock. He doesn't use the pedal to distort the signal, he uses it as a boost to fatten the tone for leads. Same goes for his Tubescreamers.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Exactly, that I can see.
If he used it to distort the signal it'd be a cheap sounding tone no matter how modded.
amp distortion.. at least using an amp like the ones he does, is far more better sounding then any distortion pedal

but I'm not really going for his tone exactly.. going for something that's similiar and nice sounding like in that vid I posted.

Satch tone:
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/pedals/satchurator/

Satch no longer uses his amp distortion on tour anymore, it is all from this pedal. On his last tour he was using the prototypes but now it's this all the way and the JSX clean channel, which was based on the same clean channel as the Peavey Classic series which you have.
The pedal is looking like it is gonna cost around $120 so that might be an option for your tonal needs.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
not your average crappy distortion box though :P:P

but alot of distortion pedals don't give the warmth the amp distortion does..
so iuno about this thing.. o.o
but if he really uses it, has to be good heh..
are you sure he did?
alot of signature stuff is just for companys to make money.. "oh a famous guy uses it so I should" kinda' things..

but yeah..
and btw your name is cool :P:P
Last edited by TechnicolorType at May 7, 2008,
Vai might be promoting the G system (which is basically a G Major in pedal form) but he uses a G-Force and an Eventide Eclipse.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Last edited by Ventor at May 7, 2008,
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/119/

there is his rig from 1999, and if you want an updated version, look in the october 2007 edition of guitar world (has vai and satch on the gover) to "a vulgar display of power" aka the back page and it shows his whole live rig with an interview about it.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
How do you get a Steve Vai tone?

The same way you get to Carnegie hall:

Turn left and practice, practice, practice.

Legato, clean picking, diverse attack. That's a good start.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by TechnicolorType
not your average crappy distortion box though :P:P

but alot of distortion pedals don't give the warmth the amp distortion does..
so iuno about this thing.. o.o
but if he really uses it, has to be good heh..
are you sure he did?
alot of signature stuff is just for companys to make money.. "oh a famous guy uses it so I should" kinda' things..

but yeah..
and btw your name is cool :P:P

Yes he does use it. There are some pictures somewhere on the net of his pedal board on the last tour and the amp footswitch has been replaced by the satchurator. For further confirmation the person who took the photo asked him if he uses his amp distortion anymore and he said he doesn't. Look at some of the videos about it on youtube.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Yes he does use it. There are some pictures somewhere on the net of his pedal board on the last tour and the amp footswitch has been replaced by the satchurator. For further confirmation the person who took the photo asked him if he uses his amp distortion anymore and he said he doesn't. Look at some of the videos about it on youtube.

ok, thanks =]]]

I'd like to find a concert of his recent tour