Hey guys!

I've decided that I would like to form a one man band kinda thing (except for drums) in the form of a Techno project. I suppose you could say the band line up would be pretty much like Nine Inch Nails (NOTE: Not specifically going for that sound.)

I need some help with choosing a bass, because although I LOVE the tone of a nice Fender (think Timmy C from Rage Against the Machine) I'm not sure I could afford one. I also admire the bass work of Justin Chancellor of Tool.

I'm mainly a guitarist who's looking to branch out musically--I'm a big metalhead (Pantera, Korn, Mudvayne, Behemoth, American Head Charge, Yyrkoon, King Diamond, Deftones), but I also love Techno/Electronica/Trance (The Crystal Method, DJ Shadow, Flavored Breakz, Prodigy); whatever genre you would like to call it, Alternative (Fuel, Staind, Tonic) , Flamenco, Pop-Punk (Blink 182, The Offspring), and Blues (Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix, mainly.)

My main question is:

Is there an Ibanez or ESP out there that could give me the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks for your help!
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost."

Teh Space
that's MIM... I like MIM, but some are against that country's fenders
ibanez makes the srx series, they might be good too.
i'm not sure if an esp will make the right sound...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hmm, I'd say about $300 to $400 would be ideal.

An SRX would give a good Fender-esque tone?

I don't have much experience with Mexican Fenders, so I guess I can't say whether I'd like one or not.

Teh Space
Haha you sound a lot like me - I mostly listened to metal for years but now prefer to write and play dance/electronica. I like humbuckers for that sound myself. No specific bass recommendations from me though unless there's more detail about precisely what sound you want! Do you want basically a Fender J tone?
Hmm.. I can't really specify too much.. But I suppose a Jazz bass tone would be it.

Teh Space
Tom Jenkins of Squarepusher uses a Musicman Sabre.................... maybe in your price range you could get an OLP Tony Levin sig?

Keep in mind your amp as well....... if you want the beefy, gnarly tone of many of the players you listed, get an Ampeg amp and whatever bass floats your boat. For techno and trance, you're probably going to want a 5-string, so you're leaning into Ibanez territory (due to your price range). The SR505 is a great bass, as are the SRX series. Ibanez has a ton of 5-strings, so look for something you like in your price range.

As for MIM Fenders, they're only really good for vintage-y, indie-rock type stuff. You can't get a good metal tone out of it, and unless you change the pickups, you're not going to get a fat whoomphy motown sound or a high-gain, zingy pop-punk sound either. If you want those sounds in bass in your price range, stick with Ibanex SR's and SRX.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by ndfcartman
Hey guys!

I've decided that I would like to form a one man band kinda thing (except for drums) in the form of a Techno project. I suppose you could say the band line up would be pretty much like Nine Inch Nails (NOTE: Not specifically going for that sound.)

I need some help with choosing a bass, because although I LOVE the tone of a nice Fender (think Timmy C from Rage Against the Machine) I'm not sure I could afford one. I also admire the bass work of Justin Chancellor of Tool.

I'm mainly a guitarist who's looking to branch out musically--I'm a big metalhead (Pantera, Korn, Mudvayne, Behemoth, American Head Charge, Yyrkoon, King Diamond, Deftones), but I also love Techno/Electronica/Trance (The Crystal Method, DJ Shadow, Flavored Breakz, Prodigy); whatever genre you would like to call it, Alternative (Fuel, Staind, Tonic) , Flamenco, Pop-Punk (Blink 182, The Offspring), and Blues (Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix, mainly.)

My main question is:

Is there an Ibanez or ESP out there that could give me the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks for your help!

1. NIN isn't "techno."
2. Way to name drop all the bands you listen to... fairly unnecessary

It sounds like you might be wanting to go the Industrial Rock route... not as heavy as Red Harvest or Ministry, but not quite dance music like Daft Punk. Bass usually has a distorted/fuzzed out tone, but if you're more into the clean tones, here's my third point:

3. Tone doesn't come as much from the bass as it does from how you EQ it. Invest in a good amp/head and find a good EQ setting that you like.

The bassists in NIN have always either played Fender basses (Lohner played a Fender jazz on occasion, Jeordie plays a Fender USA Deluxe P-bass) or Musicman Stingrays which I believe Trent uses in studio.
Quote by the humanity
that's MIM... I like MIM, but some are against that country's fenders
ibanez makes the srx series, they might be good too.
i'm not sure if an esp will make the right sound...

i love my MIM fender...... its my baby.

ive replaced the pups and the bridge on it, and it sounds......... either as good or better than my band directors MIA Jazz bass........
Quote by Charlatan_001
1. NIN isn't "techno."
2. Way to name drop all the bands you listen to... fairly unnecessary

Yes, thank you for that.

1.) I didn't place Nine Inch Nails under the genre of "Techno," I merely used Nine Inch Nails as a reference for how Trent Reznor has the band set up (writing everything but drums.)

2.) No where NEAR all the bands I listen to. All of the genres are pretty broad--there are many subgenres within each. IMO, it helps to list specific bands instead of just. "Uh.. I like Metal."

Thanks for your input anyway!

Teh Space
If MIM Fenders aren't your thing and MIA is too far out of your price range. MIJ/CIJ Fenders are just as good as the MIA Fenders.