What Steve said.

One's wierd and the other one's pop-like.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I guess so yeah. I usually think of indie as being brittish guys with weird hair, clean guitar and a weird kinda broken voice.
Alt rock is more American, distorted guitar and clean clear voice sometimes. In my opinion anyway.
Indie and alternative are like the two broadest genres ever. It's really hard to explain or define them, go look at the alt/indie forum and listen to some bands of each genre for examples. Also, British radio pop rock is not indie!!
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Indie rock was originally rock musicians signed to independant labels.
It has since been become a bastardized term refering to a new wave of rock a lot of which is from Britain.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Indie is just like Alternative, but British, more poppy and lyrics generally to do with British stuff. Indie is pretty much mostly **** too.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, indie can be American or British, and as I've said before, it's not the radio pop rock you hear!!! Indie is such a broad genre and it's hard to explain, just go to the forum! Also, indie doesn't just mean being signed to an independent label.
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at May 6, 2008,
Quote by Steve The Plank
Indie is just like Alternative, but British, more poppy and lyrics generally to do with British stuff.

yeah instead of lyrics like "i feel so alone i'm gonna end up a big old pile of them bones"

they sing

"oh I feel rather solitudious, by chance I shall be found one day reduced to a mere skeleton"

and they sing about crumpets and cricket and stuff

EDIT: i'm just kidding. I find the difference is in style

indies

alt rock
Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah instead of lyrics like "i feel so alone i'm gonna end up a big old pile of them bones"

they sing

"oh I feel rather solitudious, by chance I shall be found one day reduced to a mere skeleton"

and they sing about crumpets and cricket and stuff

As sung by Sir Layne Stalington esquire

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Indie and alternative are like the two broadest genres ever. It's really hard to explain or define them, go look at the alt/indie forum and listen to some bands of each genre for examples. Also, British radio pop rock is not indie!!

^ This sums up what I'd say except I'd also start raving about Sufjan Stevens and threaten to shiv someone in the face.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Wrong, wrong, wrong, indie can be American or British, and as I've said before, it's not the radio pop rock you hear!!! Indie is such a broad genre and it's hard to explain, just go to the forum! Also, indie doesn't just mean being signed to an independent label.

I dunno about you, but I defined Indie in the UK. I'm guessing you have a different view where you're at, but that's what it is here.
Either way, I don't really give a **** at all, I know what it sounds like, and how it's all that's ever played on the dreary boring-as-hell radios over here.
Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s
As sung by Sir Layne Stalington esquire

quite right, quite right my dear chap. I also particularly admire his composition "Block the flowing water"
Quote by Steve The Plank
I dunno about you, but I defined Indie in the UK. I'm guessing you have a different view where you're at, but that's what it is here.
Either way, I don't really give a **** at all, I know what it sounds like, and how it's all that's ever played on the dreary boring-as-hell radios over here.

The truth is, that's not indie in the slightest. It's just British radio pop rock, with "indie" style. It's so hard to define indie, the genre is so wide. The misconception of indie reminds me of the same thing that happened with emo, hopefully it doesn't get that widely misconceived, but it's sure getting there, the media ruins everything good.
Quote by StreetLight3989
The truth is, that's not indie in the slightest. It's just British radio pop rock, with "indie" style. It's so hard to define indie, the genre is so wide. The misconception of indie reminds me of the same thing that happened with emo, hopefully it doesn't get that widely misconceived, but it's sure getting there, the media ruins everything good.

Indie could be anything from black metal, to bluegrass.
Quote by StreetLight3989

It's easier to call 'British radio pop rock' Indie, and that's how more people see it as, so I'm totally cool with running with it. I don't care for when people get really nit-picky about genres to be honest.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Indie could be anything from black metal, to bluegrass.

Eh, I wouldn't say that, there are definitely vague dividing lines. I just don't think that anything signed to an indie label is necessarily indie.
Quote by Steve The Plank
It's easier to call 'British radio pop rock' Indie, and that's how more people see it as, so I'm totally cool with running with it. I don't care for when people get really nit-picky about genres to be honest.

Don't give in to NME's sterotypes. They don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Quote by StreetLight3989
Eh, I wouldn't say that, there are definitely vague dividing lines. I just don't think that anything signed to an indie label is necessarily indie.

But...that's the whole point of indie.
Either way, its still called indie. People aren't going to stop calling it that just because a few people think it isn't called that.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Don't give in to NME's sterotypes. They don't have a clue what they're talking about.

But...that's the whole point of indie.

True, I guess I sort of agree with you on that one, but when I think of indie I tend to think of bands like Neutral Milk Hotel to Sunny Day Real Estate, not some random indie label black metal band.

Quote by Ichimaru
Either way, its still called indie. People aren't going to stop calling it that just because a few people think it isn't called that.

This is exactly what happened to emo, and I think it's kind of sad.
Quote by StreetLight3989
True, I guess I sort of agree with you on that one, but when I think of indie I tend to think of bands like Neutral Milk Hotel to Sunny Day Real Estate, not some random indie label black metal band.

This is exactly what happened to emo, and I think it's kind of sad.

Well, those bands would be Alternative/Indie bands.

And yeah, the emo thing is sad. Real indie (SDRE, etc.) is awesome.
Quote by CoreysMonster
quite right, quite right my dear chap. I also particularly admire his composition "Block the flowing water"

Ah, a good ditty indeed, my dear fellow, though I myself am fond of "We Expire Before We Grow Old" and "Chicken With Testicles".

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.