i got an epi les paul, and i wanted to know how far the strings should be from the pick ups so i get the maximum use out of my humbuckers thanks in advance
first worry about the space between the strings and the fret board (action) , then adjust the pickup height as needed - play around with it and see what works for you

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
it shouldnt make much difference, they'll hear the strings either way. action is your first worry, then fool around with the pickup heights. all it does is make the strings sound louder i believe.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
In the contrary; it makes a world of difference.

Having your pickup lower down creates a more mellow tone and is quieter. Having the pickup higher makes the guitar sound more distorted and is louder. However, get too close and you kill the sustain, and get too far away and it sounds horrible (to me anyway).

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
In the contrary; it makes a world of difference.

Having your pickup lower down creates a more mellow tone and is quieter. Having the pickup higher makes the guitar sound more distorted and is louder. However, get too close and you kill the sustain, and get too far away and it sounds horrible (to me anyway).

This guy knows what he's talking about. People who say pickup height doesn't matter have obviously never played around with pup height. Lower one side flush to the body and play, then raise it to almost string height, then come back and tell me it doesn't matter

TC, first your focus should be on action, play with your TOM and just find something comfy. I usually drop it as low as possible, then raise it a 360 degree rotation, on each screw. After this it wouldn't be a bad idea to check your inotation, I did it yesterday and god, it makes the world of difference. But you can always do that later, so just plug your guitar in and play with each pup. I try to play the base strings first, and adjust both pups to how I like them, then the treble, but w/e. The standard is that the neck should be higher on the treble side and lower on the base, then the opposite with the bridge. They should probably never come closer to the strings than 1/8" either.

Just figure out what works for you, and DON'T listen to people who say it doesn't matter... That's like saying there's no difference between the LP body style and the Flying V shape.
Quote by pepsi1187
it shouldnt make that much of a difference

Makes a huge difference.

TS: I keep my pickups almost sunk to the face of my guitar, then prop the bass side up just a wee bit higher than the treble side.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece