hey yall Im reading the guitar player magazine, and Satch is in it under the rock setction, anyway he says that to write the hungarian minor in C the notes are C D Eb F# G Ab B, does anyone no how to change that to a different scale/key?
^ best way to look at it imo is to take a harmonic minor scale and raise the 5th.

in E it is

E F# G A# B C D#

edit: btw, this is an excellent scale for an evil/eerie/heavy sound. i like to play around with it.
Yep, the scale is built 1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 7, so there you go. I just began a piece in F Hungarian Minor last night myself, it's a cool scale.

^z4twenny: Don't you mean raise the fourth?
okay, im somewhat new theroy, and the books/websites that I used to learn the little bit I know didnt use that number system like you did they used Whole steps and half steps,
1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 7 <--- this confuses me can you explain? thanks
Quote by :-D

^z4twenny: Don't you mean raise the fourth?

indeed, long day at work, my bad. raise the 4th
Quote by therealtater
okay, im somewhat new theroy, and the books/websites that I used to learn the little bit I know didnt use that number system like you did they used Whole steps and half steps,
1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 7 <--- this confuses me can you explain? thanks

It's just the degrees relative to the major scale. For example, let's say we start with C major and want to go to C Hungarian Minor. Our C major scale, comprised of notes C D E F G A B, is represented by scale degrees 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, each degree corresponding to a note. C=1, D=2, E=3 and so on. In Hungarian Minor, you can see the unaltered notes are 1, 2, 5 and 7. So from C major, C D G and B remain unaffected and are in the C Hungarian minor scale.

Our third degree is flattened a half step, so E becomes Eb.
Our fourth degree is sharpened a half step, so F becomes F#.
Our sixth degree is flattened a half step, so A becomes Ab.

Following all this, our scale is constructed C D Eb F# G Ab B. Any help?
Let's apply this to a more complex scale.

E major: E F# G# A B C# D#
Apply formula: 1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 7
E Hungarian Minor: E F# G A# B C# D#

TS, try writing out the formulas for the following scales. I'll give you the major scale; you give me the hungarian minor scale.

F major: F G A Bb C D E
G Major: G A B C D E F#
F# Major: F# G# A# B C# D# E#
Gb Major: Gb Ab Gb Cb Db Eb F

Remember, E#, Fb, B#, and Cb do exists and must be used for some of these. You can also double sharp (F##=Fx) and double flat ( Abb) notes, and you will use those as well if I have designed these correctly.