Ok well, I decided to bring my Gibson SG (as I don't play it much) down there today, and they offered $700 for it. (Its like in perfect condition, except for a few little scratches on the back, and the guy agreed with me) I need opinions on this =)

Anyway, well I decided to go try out some peavey half stacks/combos that I was eyeing (as they didn't have any Bugera stuff, and I'm assuming peavey is the closest I can get to it as Bugera's amps are based off theirs)

I walked over to the 6505+ half stack and plugged in (using my JS1000). I don't understand why people said Peavey has bad cleans. It was pretty nice and more than I expected. If you guys say Bugeras have even better cleans, then that'll be nice =D The crunch channel had a nice tone to it, but I'd like it if the crunch wasn't so high gain... Next, the high gain/lead channel. That's what was good on this amp, though the sounds were a little scratchy/fuzzy. (That's probably because I didn't crank it up loud, I was sitting like 2 inches from the cab and didn't want to murder my ears.)

Next, I tried a JSX half stack they had in stock and had slightly cleaner/warmer cleans than the 6505+. The crunch channel was definitely better compared to the 6505+, since it wasn't as high gain and responded better to my guitar's volume pot. Only thing about the JSX is I didn't get to try the high gain, as the one there was messed up and just wouldn't switch =(

Last one I tried was a peavey valveking 112 combo, and it had cleans comparable to the 6505+. I don't understand why people said it was "mid-gain" cause I had the gain about at 3 o'clock, and with the gain boost on, I was able to tap on the high E+get a nice tone. What I didn't like about the VK is it was less versatile, as it was harder to dial in REALLY high gain and a classic rock OD tone into it, it was sorta inbetween, more towards the high-gain zone. (Def had enough gain for what I do, and it had about as much as the 6505+, which was surprising)

I did not get to crank any of the amps up, which is why they probably didn't have much difference from each other, but I played at volumes that I would normally use with my band where we practice, as we've only played one backyard show so far =P
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I really wonder why GC doesn't carry Bugera. You would think they would.

1. They are new for 2008, and GC is slow
2. They are too good, so they still wanna sell higher-end amps =P
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Quote by The Hummingbird
1. They are new for 2008, and GC is slow
2. They are too good, so they still wanna sell higher-end amps =P

Or maybe that would majorly cut into their Spider III and Marshall MG line sales (they have contracts/incentives to push those?). I had a hippy stoner dude that worked there tell me that. I doubt it's true though. But still, food for thought...
So anyone have any opinions about the Gibson SG?
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Quote by The Hummingbird
So anyone have any opinions about the Gibson SG?

you can sell it on ebay for around $900 if it's decent condition so i wouldn't give it to Guitar Center
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I wonder if peavey didn't want GC to sell bugera since they're such blatant ripoffs of their amps.
Quote by Waterboy799
you can sell it on ebay for around $900 if it's decent condition so i wouldn't give it to Guitar Center

Well yes, but I don't think I can get that much because my dad's ebay is fairly new and has no feedback, which I read has alot to do with what you can get for something?
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Quote by Waterboy799

You got to realize that GC knows that he can sell it for $900, but GC is a store looking for profit so if they get the guitar for $700 then they can sell it for $900 or more to gain some money, they wouldn't buy just to have the thing and not profit from it. They want the stuff for as low as possible.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by angeldef
You got to realize that GC knows that he can sell it for $900, but GC is a store looking for profit so if they get the guitar for $700 then they can sell it for $900 or more to gain some money, they wouldn't buy just to have the thing and not profit from it. They want the stuff for as low as possible.

Well, looking @ GC's website, there's one like mine that's going for $1200 =O Red... 2007... Almost perfect condtition...

Any tips on how to raise the price to get from them? Like i was shooting for $800, but they said $700.
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Don't sell it to GC. Just don't. You will never get what it's worth. If you're really fine getting only 800 for it, go tell them that's your price. They'll probably take it since it's worth more. I'd put it on craigslist and ebay if you want to get a fair price for it.
Quote by The Hummingbird
Well, looking @ GC's website, there's one like mine that's going for $1200 =O Red... 2007... Almost perfect condtition...

Any tips on how to raise the price to get from them? Like i was shooting for $800, but they said $700.

I say go firm that you want $900, then they might say no and think for a minute or too and say i will talk it over with my dad if his with you or talk to the phone with him (fake it if you must). Then say i will only go the lowest i can go is $800 if they don't want it then just don't take the $700 if you really think that you can get a better price for it and go to another GC or other place to sell it, I say go to Craigslist and list it their plenty people buy from their and you can get a local buyer so scams can be avoided, like me i always buy on craigslist.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
I'd buy it, if i had the money, for like $750 + I'd pay shipping

EDIT: and your join date wasn't april
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at May 6, 2008,
Next, I tried a JSX half stack they had in stock and had slightly cleaner/warmer cleans than the 6505+. The crunch channel was definitely better compared to the 6505+, since it wasn't as high gain and responded better to my guitar's volume pot. Only thing about the JSX is I didn't get to try the high gain, as the one there was messed up and just wouldn't switch =(

I had the same exact issue but it was the crunch, same issue with two XXX's as well. Thats the main issue i wouldnt buy one.. that stupid switch never works lol

But yea i loved the cleans on the JSX instant metallica like tone. But the Ultra was nice but still not as brootal and missing some cut through when compared to the 6505.
Quote by The Hummingbird

Say OK to the $700 if they sell you one of those amps for $100 bucks off retail - or cost even.
You could also tell them if you buy my guitar for $800, I'll use the money to buy a head and a cab ... if you throw in a pedal (or something you need).
Quote by angeldef

i know that......which is why i suggested he sell it on Ebay

Quote by The Hummingbird
Well yes, but I don't think I can get that much because my dad's ebay is fairly new and has no feedback, which I read has alot to do with what you can get for something?

everyone starts somewhere i guess. if you really want to sell it on ebay and make everything seem legit here's what i suggest you do:

1) describe the guitar down to the last detail, any scratches, dents, dings etc. should be mentioned

2) take plenty of pictures of the instrument so the buyer can see exactly what they're buying. make sure to take pictures of any imperfections so the buyer can see them before purchasing. most people don't care much for scratches or small dings, you'd be surprised.

3) use paypal and allow for a return policy. let the buyer keep the guitar for a week and if he doesn't like it, let him return it to you. this is where lots and lots of photographs of the guitar would come in handy so if the buyer did damage to it and wants to return it, you won't be scammed in taking it back.

4) don't set the price too low or high, find out how much the guitar goes for on ebay (i believe for a Gibson SG Standard it's about $900) and sell it for that much. an iron rule of ebay "If it's too good to be true, it isn't true"

5) stay in contact with potential buyers or people interested in buying the instrument if they email you. hell even a nice message after a person's bought it would help him give you a nice review.

6) be quick with shipping, people love quick shipping and package the guitar very well.

that's all i can think of for now. if you decided to go sell or buy with Ebay, remember these rules.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by The Hummingbird

you could ask them for more.
also, i would recommend just trading it in when you buy a new amp. generally when you trade something in (probably because you are buying stuff) they will give you good deals. maybe its just me.
If you're seriously going to sell that guitar for $700, I'll buy it. What color is it?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by danyellenik
I'd buy it, if i had the money, for like $750 + I'd pay shipping

EDIT: and your join date wasn't april

Not my fault here =P I've only been playing for around 5 months you know

And I would take that offer (well at 800), because I don't want GC to earn profit. (And its good for us both, as GC would mark it up to prob like $1100 as they overprice SGs)

Quote by MatrixClaw
If you're seriously going to sell that guitar for $700, I'll buy it. What color is it?

Seriously? I'd ask 800 for it, as its 900 on ebay, and 1100-1200 used at GC...
BTW its their cherry red color, I'll get pics up if you want.

Quote by chea_man
you could ask them for more.
also, i would recommend just trading it in when you buy a new amp. generally when you trade something in (probably because you are buying stuff) they will give you good deals. maybe its just me.

Well I was looking at a 6505+ head, and its $1100. They said the lowest they can go even if I trade in is $1000, so screw that. I'm getting a Bugera 333xl+avatar cab with the money from this SG =P
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R