Okay, so I really don't know anything about music theory, so I have come to the great MT forum for assistance. I have recently started writing a solo with the F#m scale, but I have a few problems. I don't know what key it's in, and because of that, I don't know what chord progression would go behind that key. Can any of you theory gurus help me, please?

I think it's F#m anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------14-16-17-----
----------------------------------------------14-15-17
-------------------------------------14-16------------
----------------------------14-16--------------------
---------------14-16-17-----------------------------------
--14-16-17-----------------------------------------------
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Last edited by spartan 118 at May 6, 2008,
uh A?
or whatever note it starts with. Start from whatever string is the first note, let's say E, and go up from there. Every fret is a half step.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Am - the relative minor of C Major.

Chords: Am, Em and C

Dm works, too.

If you switch to C, G and F, though, you'll notice that you won't be in A minor any more, but rather C Major.

"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by shredforbread33
uh A?
or whatever note it starts with. Start from whatever string is the first note, let's say E, and go up from there. Every fret is a half step.

Sorry, I accidentally put the wrong thing in the first post.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

Quote by ouchies
Uhm, I might be a fool, but that looks like F#m to me.

^yeah,14th fret on E=F#.so why wouldn't it be F#m?
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Am - the relative minor of C Major.

Chords: Am, Em and C

Dm works, too.

If you switch to C, G and F, though, you'll notice that you won't be in A minor any more, but rather C Major.

Since when do Am and C have sharps in them?

It is F#m.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by athlete1
^yeah,14th fret on E=F#.so why wouldn't it be F#m?

Alright, that works, but what key is it in and what chord progression would sound good behind it?
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

Your note choice will heavily influence that chords you put under it. For this reason, it is more standard to write a chord progression and then the melody, but sometimes, the melody comes first.

The chords in F#m are F#m G#dim A Bm C#m (usually C# major as Ouchies said) D E. Try fooling around with those chords and see what you get.

I'm betting that you have some kind of progression playing in your head behind that solo. Try to figure that out.
One thing to do is play a chord containing the note played on the downbeat or at some other kind of time interval, such as the beginning of every measure.