i would love to be able to play this song, as muse are my fav band, but what ever i try slow it down and sh** i cant seem to be able play any tips,
I can play time is running out but thats lot easier.
First of all break the intro down into different pieces, working on each part until you can play each one perfectly (doesn't matter about speed yet, just accuracy) once you get each part down then string them all together, and start speeding it up until it's the right speed of the song
I've learned this song. For me it was just making sure to walk the bass with my picking hand relentlessly in time. Whatever tempo you're at keep it real steady. The trick is matching the timing with the fretting hand so that the open hits sound good.
Hysteria was the first song I ever tried when I picked up bass. Of course, I had extreme difficulty with it. I found that If you broke the main riff into 4 parts (A string, then E, then D, then back to A), it is much easier to learn. Believe me when I say this though, it will take FOREVER to get it up to the speed Chris plays it, you will need to practice a ton to get it down.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Haha, my band is covering this song at the next show. Just had to learn it. Not that hard at all just need a good Big Muff...which i dont have. haha
2 Good big muffs if you want to get the tone down properly.
Gear: Fretless 1974 Jazz/Precision hybrid
Ibanez BTB 605
Fender Rumble 100
Quote by aurian4parker
Haha, my band is covering this song at the next show. Just had to learn it. Not that hard at all just need a good Big Muff...which i dont have. haha

Quote by kaine2010

Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Yup he uses 2, 1 with the tone right up, 1 with the tone right down.

of course i may be mistaken on this but i don't think so.
Ibanez BTB 605
Fender Rumble 100
Quote by aurian4parker

Quote by kaine2010

mufs just make a wall of noise, not a clear cut gritty tone like hysteria. i think its bass overdrive, i tried it with my boss SD-1 for guitar and it sounds good
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Nope. He uses a Big Muff and a Synth on the cdirty channel (wello, I'm pretty sure about the synth) and he also runs a clean signal beneath it, hence his ability to get away with ausing a Big Muff.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Mmm yes the clean signal underneath. you're not wrong there.
Ibanez BTB 605
Fender Rumble 100
you can never have enough big muff.....

Yeah this song's a bitch to learn. The line looks simple enough but its all about keeping the 16ths going whilst fretting it properly. Take it slow and build up. Its nice that its split into 4 parts (the A string, E string, D string and then back to A) so you can get each bit down first and then string them together.

The choruses are easy enough. He's just mucking about with octave and pent scales.

Practice basically. And i can back up the Boss Sd-1 pedal claim, the fact that it sounds awesome with it. It does.
Quote by Hammerzeit
And i can back up the Boss Sd-1 pedal claim, the fact that it sounds awesome with it. It does.

Nope. His primary pedals (though his full chain is rather huge) are the Russian Big Muff combined with a Boss ODB-3 and an Akai Deep Impact synth pedal, though the ODB-3 is used more to enhance the sound of the Big Muff than alter it drastically.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The main problem I have is keeping the constant speed for the whole 4 minutes or however long it is. Killer after about 2 minutes!
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Although Chris uses two Muffs and the Akai, it is easy to simulate with just a cheap synth and an octaver.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I use my boss ODB-3 and my DOD fx25b as a dub over it and it gets me almost the same sound. pretty easy to learn if you take it slow like anything else.
Its been said already, but go string by string, not all at once.
Gear -

-Dean MLX
-Standard P-Bass
-Behringer Ultrabass BX300 (It can't wait to crap out on me)

Hysteria was the first "difficult" song i learnt, i just split it up into sections on the strings and then pieced it together.

Still cant play at full speed until i've properly warmed up though, and i'd probably fail it if i attempted it on stage..ah well