Poll: Does the concept of infinity bother you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does the concept of infinity bother you?
I don't care, and thus it does not bother me
19 9%
Yes, i think about it constantly.
55 26%
I am interested, but the idea doesn't bother me.
99 46%
llamas.
40 19%
Voters: 213.
Page 1 of 2
So, fellow ultimate guitarists, while I was in the FOTB, without you lot to fetter me to earthly topics like penis size and breast enhancement, I got to thinking about the beginning of the earth and the end of time…if there is such a thing.

This is not a thread about creationism or evolution. It is about the concept of infinity. My question to you is do the concepts of infinity, time before time, matter before matter, ect, bother you?

For me, they’re a big deal. I find it annoying that I can never know for sure, or even comprehend what actually has happened. What about you?
Too cool for a signature.
infinity after this moment in time...no i can understand that

infinity before this moment in time...that just makes my head hurt
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I can almost kind of grasp infinity forwards, but cannot for the life of me go backwards. I can barely imagine April 10,1990, the day before I was born let alone anything before anything that is recognizeable to us was here.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by Just_a_picker
I can almost kind of grasp infinity forwards, but cannot for the life of me go backwards. I can barely imagine April 10,1990, the day before I was born let alone anything before anything that is recognizeable to us was here.

That's why you are a Christian.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
uh oh, i hope i haven't created a meme....that would be terible (spanish pronunciation)
This is why you don't put joke answers in a poll you want to be taken seriously in THE PIT.
you act like the pit can only be a place for douches and internet memes. We can aspire to so much more.
I'm happy for the big questions never to be answered - it's enough that they're asked.

And nice to have you back chrisatgrace
Quote by darkstar2466

*totally awesome llama pic*

Meh, I'm not gonna get deep into it, because no one would read a post that long, but I will say that my concept of infinity isn't why I'm a Christian. But the fact that I am a Christian gives a concept of going forward infinately because of my faith, going backwards makes my head hurt.

Now before this thread turns into a religious argument.

LLAMAS!!!

Quote by JustRooster

Quote by JD2k9
Women make it hard.
my opinion doesnt count , im a girl
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Quote by sam_brault
my opinion doesnt count , im a girl

A man has taught you well.

I voted yes.
LMAO
im actually a dude, but i got four views since i said i was a girl 3minutes ago
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Quote by Just_a_picker
Meh, I'm not gonna get deep into it, because no one would read a post that long, but I will say that my concept of infinity isn't why I'm a Christian. But the fact that I am a Christian gives a concept of going forward infinately because of my faith, going backwards makes my head hurt.

Now before this thread turns into a religious argument.

LLAMAS!!!

yeah, let's try not to get that argument started. both sides can be rather rabid.
Quote by darkstar2466

Si! He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!
Quote by Våd Hamster
Si! He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!

es un llama muy guapo y muy intelligente.
Ok, here is how i look at it.

The earth was here before humans, what was before the earth? A star with a large density of matter. When the star exploded it sent matter in every direction yada yada. Scientist like to think of some central unit "the big bang" but really i believe mass just keep renewing itself through the massing and dissolving of stars. I don't think there was one point where all matter began.

In essence, time is just a form of measurement we have created to standardize a lot of things. In reality i believe that there is no beginning of time, or creation, rather i think of it as a continuity of what has always been. It may seem complicated, but i don't think there will be an "end" to the universe ever. There may be an end of time, because humans are a species and eventually we will die out and become extinct. With us our inventions will be gone as well, all of our theories and creations.

In essence what i am saying is... "What is always has been, and always will be, no matter if we are around or not."

edit: sometimes when i think about stuff like this my head just explodes though.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by chrisatgrace
yeah, let's try not to get that argument started. both sides can be rather rabid.

Yeah, I just let people have their beliefs, as I have mine. Besides the only arguing in this thread should be about llamas!

I'm surprised that llamas isn't the majority yet.

Quote by JustRooster

Quote by JD2k9
Women make it hard.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
Ok, here is how i look at it.

The earth was here before humans, what was before the earth? A star with a large density of matter. When the star exploded it sent matter in every direction yada yada. Scientist like to think of some central unit "the big bang" but really i believe mass just keep renewing itself through the massing and dissolving of stars. I don't think there was one point where all matter began.

In essence, time is just a form of measurement we have created to standardize a lot of things. In reality i believe that there is no beginning of time, or creation, rather i think of it as a continuity of what has always been. It may seem complicated, but i don't think there will be an "end" to the universe ever. There may be an end of time, because humans are a species and eventually we will die out and become extinct. With us our inventions will be gone as well, all of our theories and creations.

In essence what i am saying is... "What is always has been, and always will be, no matter if we are around or not."

edit: sometimes when i think about stuff like this my head just explodes though.

but where did the matter come from? i don't know, and it bothers me.
Does matter have to come somewhere? Maybe it was always here forever. That view says that everything has to come from somewhere, meaning a beginning. Not everything has to be created. I think that things could just keep going back forever and ever.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Jesus, the llama is going to turn into the new pear watch.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by misfitsdisciple
Does matter have to come somewhere? Maybe it was always here forever. That view says that everything has to come from somewhere, meaning a beginning. Not everything has to be created. I think that things could just keep going back forever and ever.

i guess, it just defies my mind to imagine a beginning with no beginning. the indians were probably right...: "it's turtles, all the way down"
Ive actually wondered quite often what started the universe.......Christians say god......but what started him huh? And then something had to start what started god........and so on. ITS MAKING MY HEAD HURT

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

your sig makes me lol....masturdon.

anyways, yeah, any way you look at it, it makes for head explosion. if it's turtles, what's at the bottom?

if it's God, where'd he come from?

if it's exploading hydrogen, where'd it come from?

ahhhhh *runs in circles lamenting the meaninglessness of life*
Quote by chrisatgrace

anyways, yeah, any way you look at it, it makes for head explosion. if it's turtles, what's at the bottom?

lol, thanks.

I know man, it drove me nuts for YEARS before i decided to say i didn't want to think of it anymore. Now its back in my head.........and its driving me nuts AGAIN!!!!!!!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by chrisatgrace
i sorry.

Lol, its cool man. I needed something to think about right now.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by chrisatgrace

Who says it had to come from somewhere? The universe simply is. There is no clearly defined place where it came from, matter wasn't created or destroyed. This defies a lot of the different views already put in place, but think about it. If there was never a beginning, then all the matter would already exist. I don't think that matter is super complex, it is just that we as humans seek a beginning point. Of course there are the molecules and atoms which define all matter, but there is also anti-matter which is another story altogether.

Anyway, that is my view of things, i'll leave the rest to physicists.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
yeah, i've never found the tau and anti tau particles particularly helpful.

but my point is, it's wired into the human psyce that everything has to come from somewhere, and i think that is why infinity bothers many people so much.
I encounter infinity a lot in my studies, and it is kinda problematic.
I can't get my head around it, but I don't think about it constantly, I just choose to ignore it because it makes my head hurt
Quote by sam_brault
LMAO
im actually a dude, but i got four views since i said i was a girl 3minutes ago

sure thing, mere kitchen dweller

i voted llamas then read the question. when i start thinkin about this kinda crap i end up spending a while day thinking about it. so this time i shall not be trapped!!

but anyway llamas
Page 1 of 2