My band recently found a singer, and we now need some new gear for our practices. I know this may be a dumb question, but how should the singer be set up during practice? I know I need to buy a mic (obviously lol) but what kind of amplification is good and affordable for the singer? This is solely for the purpose of practice, by the way, no live playing or anything. If anyone has some advice, I'd really appreciate it.
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4

Schecter Damien-6
well

we use a spare guitar amp for vocals just cuz we have one laying around (100W and its almost loud enough lol)

PA system is obviously the best choice but PAs can be expensive. It all depends on how serious you are about the vocals. If you just need em to be heard, then a guitar amp will work. If you need them to sound good or care about your preamp or EQ or whatever, then a PA is best.
If you're cheap, go for a guitar amp. If you're serious, go and get a descently priced P.A. system. Nothing too cheap.
oh and if you've got more than one guitarist, i HIGHLY recommend getting a P.A. system.
I'm in the same situation actually. I did a little testing with equipment I borrowed, and i found out that we can you plug in a mic into a PA speaker (for lack of a better term). It was a little soft, but for practice, it got the job done.
After it was all said and done, mic and cable and speaker, it cost about $230.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was guessing a guitar amp would be my best bet for now, but if I can get a PA speaker and mic for about $230, I'll probably make that investment at some point.
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4

Schecter Damien-6