I am getting a laptop for college. It has to be dell. My college site offers latitudes, which I think are decent but I was looking at the XPS's on dell website and they seemed better. The video card on the regular XPS's is a 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT. I will have 2-4 gigs of ram, is this enough for most games I'd want to play?. Or would I have to get the gaming ones. I mainly want to play StarCraft 2 when it comes out.
If you want to play games like Call Of Duty, Crysis on high resolution, you will need to buy a better laptop because the NVIDIA 8600GT with 256MB isn't that good. And I Recommand 4 Gigs of ram.
Quote by soulflyV
I love the smell of *reported* in the morning.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I've always hated people using (Y), it just looks like an arse.
That will be enough to run StarCraft 2 for sure.

Once you get into more graphics intense games like Crysis and Bioshock however, you may want to upgrade that GPU to something like an 8800.
Well I read a review a guy played COD GTA and others... I'm probably bringing my 360 for Call of Duty n stuff anyways. Just wanted a few opinions, thanks for a serious answer.
Quote by DiamondEC
If you want to play games like Call Of Duty, Crysis on high resolution, you will need to buy a better laptop because the NVIDIA 8600GT with 256MB isn't that good. And I recommend 4 Gigs of ram.

only if you get a 64-bit Vista system. the 32-bit ones only recognize 3 gigs of ram.
Quote by metaldud536
No laptop will be able to play cryisis perfectly.

One of my friends has the HP PAvilion HDX with a NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 and a 20" screen with 500GB harde drive and 4GB of ram, that thing is a beast!
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by MadClownDisease
Quote by Dirge Humani
Fix'd.

And TS, why does it have to be a dell?

probably cuz dell gives a lot of schools discounts to buy from them.
im going to Cornell University, 9 hours away from my house. The only repair shops there are for Dell's, as long as it has the warranty still.

and what trigger said
Quote by ortrigger
only if you get a 64-bit Vista system. the 32-bit ones only recognize 3 gigs of ram.

when I had Vista with Service Pack 1 it recognised my 4GB of ram
The Elephant asked the Camel , oh why is your breast on your back Camel? To which the Camel replied, Why that is a strange question from someone with their dick on their face!
Quote by angry armadillo
when I had Vista with Service Pack 1 it recognised my 4GB of ram

it was probably a 64-bit system then. either that or SP1 fixed it.
Quote by DiamondEC
One of my friends has the HP PAvilion HDX with a NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 and a 20" screen with 500GB harde drive and 4GB of ram, that thing is a beast!

And it still can't play Crysis maxed out.
Quote by ortrigger
it was probably a 64-bit system then. either that or SP1 fixed it.

nah it was a 32 bit system.

google 'enabling page address extensions' if you want to learn more about potentially letting a 32 bit system access all 4gb or ram and not the first 3.125gb
The Elephant asked the Camel , oh why is your breast on your back Camel? To which the Camel replied, Why that is a strange question from someone with their dick on their face!
Quote by metaldud536
And it still can't play Crysis maxed out.

He had the game and played it on high resolution, the guy didn't had any lag at all...
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by MadClownDisease
Quote by DiamondEC
He had the game and played it on high resolution, the guy didn't had any lag at all...

prepare to get raped by grammar Nazis.
Quote by ortrigger
prepare to get raped by grammar Nazis.

Nice one -__-
it's like 3 AM...
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by MadClownDisease
Quote by DiamondEC

Well you know the game still looks good even with the graphics turned down.
haha its funny, you want a laptop for college but want to play games on it hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa i know how stupid that sounds know that i've just typed it out . If you have the money check out falcon-nw.com