hello there, my friend toll me about this site so i joined in order to learn lots of songs

i only know how to read tabs, but i CANT read them in the way they are posted in the site

for example

i can read something like
"40-43-10-34"

but the tabs here are like

"------------------14-----------------
------------------13-----------------
-------12----------34------------56--
60------------------------------------
50------------------------------------

and i just dont get it, so if u can help me, thanks
what are you looking at? a serious note, if you post the tab you're looking at i can help you.
Quote by venom0014
look on the bright side, at least your not black.
Quote by lightleggy
hello there, my friend toll me about this site so i joined in order to learn lots of songs

i only know how to read tabs, but i CANT read them in the way they are posted in the site

for example

i can read something like
"40-43-10-34"

but the tabs here are like

"------------------14-----------------
------------------13-----------------
-------12----------34------------56--
60------------------------------------
50------------------------------------

and i just dont get it, so if u can help me, thanks

tablature represents the strings and the fret numbers so when you see the 6 lines, each one is a separate string. they go from highest to lowest in terms of pitch, so the top one will be the thinnest string.

e---------------------------------------- Thinnest
b----------------------------------------
g----------------------------------------
d----------------------------------------
a----------------------------------------
e---------------------------------------- Thickest

then each number is the corresponding fret on that particular string. So if you see a 4 you fret at the fourth fret on that particular string. I should also point out that a '0' means that the open string should be played i.e. play the string but do not fret it at any fret. numbers on different strings vertically above/below another number indicate that the notes have to be played at the same time. like this

e--2------------------------------------- Thinnest
b--3-------------------------------------
g--2-------------------------------------
d--0-------------------------------------

that's a d major chord. each note needs to be played at the same time, either by strumming across those string or using your fingers to pluck them.

notes are sequential from left to right so when 2 notes are not directly above/below another, one is played after the other. like so

e---------------------------------------- Thinnest
b--------3-------------------------------
g--3--5----------------------------------
d----------------------------------------

the 3rd fret on the g string is played first, then the 5th fret g string, then the 3rd fret on the b string.

You may also come across other symbols like '^' or '/' or '~' those symbols represent certain techniques but the symbols will usually be explained within the tab.

It's 2.15 am where I am and I'm tired so I may have missed some things out/made a mistake or 2. if anyone has anything to add/spots a mistake, post here and explain my mistake and correct it.

Also, TS if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. It's the easiest way to learn.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Reading Tablatures Part 1
Reading Tablatures Part 2

Might wanna save this one for later, it's more advanced stuff
Defining Tablatures

Read up.

...and when there is more than one note in the same place

Example:

|--|
|--|
|--|
|--|
|6-|
|5-|

Then you must play a "chord" which is strumming more than one string while fretting more than one note.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
(Great explanation of how tabs work)
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
(good links and more examples)
Quote by lightleggy
Hi lightleggy!

Welcome to UG.
I can't give better help than these guys did, so I won't bother trying. I think you've just learned something just as important as the songs. Where to find a couple of really helpful people. Good luck with your songs and learning to read tabs. And enjoy your visits with us on UG.

Be sure to read the Rules and the FAQ at stickied the top of the index for this forum.
And read the stickied threads and announcements in each UG forum you visit before posting.
Feel free to post in the introduction thread. Say hello to the other new members.
You can find it here --> Click me
If there's anything you don't understand about how to work the controls or what goes where on UG, after reading the FAQ, just ask about it, here in the Newbie Forum.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
hi there, if you have any further questions about guitar or reading tabs, please ask in the Guitar & Bass Basics forum
from daylight...
...into darkness