Page 1 of 2
hey,

if i'm playing blues, rock and some jazz, which would be better.

I like the blues junior's cleans and its weight, but with a tube screamer could it SRV, clapton, hendrix, and warren haynes? could the hot rod do those artists by itself? and, does the BJ get really loud?

thanks for anything
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
the blues jr is loud, and get's beefy with a tube screamer.

but are you playing it over a drummer?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yes, over a drummer, bassist, and the occasional sax or harp.

im the only guitarist though
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

well, i had one for a while.

the stock speaker had problems at higher volumes.

i liked the fact that it was only 30lbs, but it's going to suffer a bit behind all those players.

also, there's no standby on that amp. not really ideal.

i liked it, but i outgrew it faster than i would have thought.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

what about the one with the jensen speaker?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

fun...i gotta watch this one. i love both amps.

Hot Rod Deluxe 112 right? = for my vote, esp over a drummer and i bet you can coax most of what you want out of it by itself.

is this a budget thing or tone thing or what? 'cause you could always get a pedal for HRD later.

imo

jj knows her sh*t too so listen to her!

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 6, 2008,
well i swapped mine out with a weber, and i still outgrew it.

not saying to get a Hrd either tho.

i mean i like fender cleans, it just needs pedals and i got tired of making an apple an orange.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i'd like to just go straight through the amp so i think i'm going to save for the HRD, maybe used. any suggested settings for the artists i said next time i try one?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

if it's between those 2, i'd go for a blues jr.. the hot rod always sounded kinda 'dead' to me.
the straight-forward blues Jr was more dynamic, and had a pretty nice OD to it.
will do blues/rock very well, especially with a tubescreamer.
the peavey classic 30's always a good alternative to the blues junior, and more definitely the hot rod overall.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
hmmm i found that i couldn't get anything more than a slightly gritty blues tone going straight through the BJ.....and remember i'm gigging too so i'd like to have plenty of volume. i'll give it a second look though
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

my setting suggestion for the HRD would be a left turn to a classic 30.

edit: and yeah you are right. the Bjr is pretty much a clean to gritty amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

specs?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

there's a whole thread dedicated to the classic 30.

title is something like, peavey classic 30, your last amp.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753992&highlight=classic+30

it's a nice amp. i see them on craigs list for like $350 all the time.

it's just much more versatile if you ask me.

v---
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at May 6, 2008,
i'll check it out

i can't tell for sure by looking at those pics but it looks like it doesn't have a standby switch either
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

^yeah it doesnt. you're right. guess you can get one added. or upgrade further, but at least play it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by LP51122
i'll check it out

i can't tell for sure by looking at those pics but it looks like it doesn't have a standby switch either

to settle the lack of standby switch, just keep the volume at 0 for 30seconds or so after you turn the amp on. problem solved.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Honestly, I really liked mine in the beginning, but now I really wish I had gone with a Classic 30.

I have the Blues Jr, and I've been disappointed with it's overdrive for a while, and I thought a tube swap might help but I think the problem might be with the speaker. But I'm not going to put another bunch of money into fixing it more so I'm probably just going to sell it.

I may end up getting something completely different just for kicks like a Tiny Terror and a nice 1x12.

Anyway, make sure you play all the amps a lot before you buy it. Seriously, go back to the store like 3 times and make sure you play it at loud volumes before you decide.

My Blues Jr sounds awful at high volumes.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
to settle the lack of standby switch, just keep the volume at 0 for 30seconds or so after you turn the amp on. problem solved.

yeah it's a simple fix, but even still a good feature.

with that said, id rather have a classic 30 over a blues jr or a Hrd.

personally i went with a tva30 other all of them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by UnsignedRecords
the peavey classic 30's always a good alternative to the blues junior, and more definitely the hot rod overall.
Quote by jj1565
my setting suggestion for the HRD would be a left turn to a classic 30.

Just reading the title of your thread, the Classic 30 was the amp that came to my mind. Reading your opening post re-enforced that opinion. Yeah, there's no standby, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. It's got solid cleans, but much better crunch than either Fender. It's also probably closer in size to the BJ than the HRD, so if size and portability is an issue, that's another item in it's pro list.

Not to mention that I do a lot of agreeing with the UG'ers I quoted here.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by jj1565
yeah it's a simple fix, but even still a good feature.

with that said, id rather have a classic 30 over a blues jr or a Hrd.

personally i went with a tva30 other all of them.

oh right, not to undermine you or anything
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

jj is right i have a blues junior and im getting rid of it to get a traynor blue.. at high levels the blues junior breaks up really bad, and its hard to get over a loud playing drummer and bassist. do yourself a favor and save more money.
i saw a video of Govt Mule in the studio. Warren Haynes actually used a blues junior for some of his stuff. it would do great for all of those things. i recommend it.
but i would reccomend the fender HRD over it. its what i use. it has really really really amazing cleans.(especially after a tube change) dont listen to the nay sayers, there is a reason it is THE most purchased tube amp in history.
however, i highly recommend getting a tubescreamer with that. actually for warren haynes type stuff, an OCD would work pretty well.
go to my profile and listen to Tune Up (miles davis). wait till it gets to the solo, that is pure unadulterated fender hrd sweet tone. its pretty much clean, just a tiny bit of break up.
Last edited by chea_man at May 6, 2008,
thanks everyone
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

how about the traynor ycv20wr or something like that... the 15 watt one with celestion speakers
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
prolly can't go wrong with Classic 30 - i figured you had already been thru a bunch of amps and had narrowed it down to those 2.

i came 'this' close to getting a BJ but didn't and the HRD was too loud for me. but i still love them both and maybe will get one some day...

;
HRD isn't a very good amp. Remember in the 70's when fender tried to combine cathode biasing and fixed biasing? Remeber how badly that ended? Well... The HRD is like fender trying to combine their sound with marshall sound and that ended badly too.

If you like the fender tone but you are afraid that the Blues Jr isn't powerful enough, then why not get a blues deluxe?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
oh right, not to undermine you or anything

haha, was i undermining?
i just like my standby, because my singer constantly takes cig breaks.

Quote by chea_man
i saw a video of Govt Mule in the studio. Warren Haynes actually used a blues junior for some of his stuff. it would do great for all of those things. i recommend it.
but i would reccomend the fender HRD over it. its what i use. it has really really really amazing cleans.(especially after a tube change) dont listen to the nay sayers, there is a reason it is THE most purchased tube amp in history.
however, i highly recommend getting a tubescreamer with that. actually for warren haynes type stuff, an OCD would work pretty well.
go to my profile and listen to Tune Up (miles davis). wait till it gets to the solo, that is pure unadulterated fender hrd sweet tone. its pretty much clean, just a tiny bit of break up.

last summer i saw a band play at jones beach, (larger outdoor venue) the guitar player was using a Blues jr.
if you have a pro PA, and mics, you can use most any amp, to play and record.

but keep in mind, we dont all have that advantage, and i doubt his amp was stock.

even by ur admission, the amps need mods and pedals after purchase.

it gets expensive.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at May 7, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
haha, was i undermining?

last summer i saw a band play at jones beach, (larger outdoor venue) the guitar player was using a Blues jr.
if you have a pro PA, and mics, you can use most any amp, to play and record.

but keep in mind, we dont all have that advantage, and i doubt his amp was stock.

even by ur admission, the amps need mods and pedals after purchase.

it gets expensive.

i would replace the tubes in just about ANY amp i would purchase. I would also probably use a tubescreamer on any amp too.
Quote by CorduroyEW
HRD isn't a very good amp. Remember in the 70's when fender tried to combine cathode biasing and fixed biasing? Remeber how badly that ended? Well... The HRD is like fender trying to combine their sound with marshall sound and that ended badly too.

If you like the fender tone but you are afraid that the Blues Jr isn't powerful enough, then why not get a blues deluxe?

i have to disagree. you may not like it, but it IS a very good amp.
Quote by jj1565
haha, was i undermining?

no i was saying i kinda was by accident. and yeah, i guess if you do a lotta live stuff, standby would be handy. i envy your type
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by chea_man
i would replace the tubes in just about ANY amp i would purchase. I would also probably use a tubescreamer on any amp too.

guess you should buy better amps.
at the very least, expect more for ur money.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

whats the difference between a blues deluxe and the hot rod? would the blues deluxe sound better for the stuff I want to play?

they cost the same though, right?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

The blues deluxe has clear cleans, lots of headroom, and not as much gain. The blues deluxe sounds when it's ranging from clean to blues distortion. If you want more than blues type overdirve then you need pedals to make it go. The blues deluxe is a very good amp for people that use lots of pedals because of the good clean tone and headroom.

The Hot rod has muddy cleans, not as much headroom, and a bit more gain. It tends to sound like it's got a heavy wool blanket over the top of it untill you crank it to a good blues overdrive. Then the amp wakes up and sound great for and works great for anything up to hard rock. It's not a good amp for people that use lots of pedals because it just doesn't clean up well enough.
Quote by jj1565
guess you should buy better amps.
at the very least, expect more for ur money.

uhhhhhhhh?
ALL fender amps come with groove tubes. if you have ever played groove tubes preamp tubes (they are simply rebranded tubes) you would know they leave much to be desired. as far as im concerned, nearly every major amp manufacturer puts sub par tubes in their amps. just like theres usually sub par speakers. and on drumsets theres sub par drum heads, and guitars need new pickups. they will cut corners anyway they can to maximize profits.
so maybe YOU should develop a more keen and discerning ear for tone AND quit jumping on this recent Anti- Hot Rod Deluxe bandwagon. "i wish there was a not jump on band wagon" band wagon. sometimes i swear im the only one on this website with my own opinion.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The blues deluxe has clear cleans, lots of headroom, and not as much gain. The blues deluxe sounds when it's ranging from clean to blues distortion. If you want more than blues type overdirve then you need pedals to make it go. The blues deluxe is a very good amp for people that use lots of pedals because of the good clean tone and headroom.

The Hot rod has muddy cleans, not as much headroom, and a bit more gain. It tends to sound like it's got a heavy wool blanket over the top of it untill you crank it to a good blues overdrive. Then the amp wakes up and sound great for and works great for anything up to hard rock. It's not a good amp for people that use lots of pedals because it just doesn't clean up well enough.

i have one, it cleans up VERY well. do you have one? No? oh, so you dont really know then do you. your regurgitating things you heard before? Yes? oh that explains everything.
Quote by chea_man
i have one, it cleans up VERY well. do you have one? No? oh, so you dont really know then do you. your regurgitating things you heard before? Yes? oh that explains everything.

Wow! Did I hurt somebodies feelings? Do you need a hug?

I have owned both of these amps in the past but don't own either of them now. I sold the HRD so that I could afford to buy a boogiemite kit (which was a huge mistake). After 6months of fighting torris to get a proper layout and all the parts I gave up with the boogiemite and got myself a blues deluxe and a tube screamer. Last year I sold the blues deluxe so that I could rebuild my bassman and get a new speaker cabnet. So although I don't currently own either of these amps I have owned both of them and the HRD that I had sounded like it had a wool blanket over the top of it unless you turned up to an uncomfortably loud volume.
i'm a part of a hrd haters bandwagon?

where is this coming from? i didnt know there was a club, and i dont think anyone said anything against them before i posted.

i just dont like them, because to me, they dont have Great cleans, and they dont have an od that intrests me.

as for my ear? i'm guessing mine matured about the time u started walking, but thanks for asking.

also, good job calling out cord too. i mean who is he?
just some dude making pickups and guitars.

listen, if you like ur amp that's cool.
but i still think ur idea that pretty much all amps need upgrades out of the box, is a little short sided...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Can we all just hold hands and sing Kum-Buy-Ah amp please? Try the Peavey and see what you think, they all have ups and downs to them. What matters is what is important to you.
There is a lot of experience behind the posts in this thread, great input.
Page 1 of 2