hey im a guitar playing in a hard rock/metal band and my singer just doesn't sing loud enough. Hes always been singing quietly and i thought it would go away after a few months and a few gigs but he still sings very quietly into a mic that works just fine and allows us to hear it over the guitar and the drums whenever someone else sings. How do we get him to sing louder?
tell him to sing louder?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
have him work with someone who knows their **** about singing.get them to teach him out to use his diaphram muscles.once he gets those working you will have to turn his mike down.i was in the some boat but not with a rock band,i had trouble projecting when i did theatre.someone came in and showed me some exorsises and after a while i could belt out as loud as i pretyy much wanted
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
When you guys practice, do you do it somewhat quietly, to not disturb neighbors or what have you? Or do you pump the mic way up so the singer doesn't have to sing loudly to be louder than the band, or high enough to where if the singer DID sing loudly/start yelling, they would completely overpower (or at the very least stick way out over) everything? If so, try either cutting down the mic, or just straight up removing it for a while, to force them to sing lounder.

Other than that, it might be a confidence issue. Do you or your band have a habit of telling the singer to sing louder? (If not, you HAVE brought up this issue with them, right?) This could actually have the opposite effect on them, as they might be singing quieter as a defense without even thinking about it.
Quote by guitarmageddon0
hey im a guitar playing in a hard rock/metal band and my singer just doesn't sing loud enough. Hes always been singing quietly and i thought it would go away after a few months and a few gigs but he still sings very quietly into a mic that works just fine and allows us to hear it over the guitar and the drums whenever someone else sings. How do we get him to sing louder?

You're a guitar?

On a more serious note, make sure he is using his diaphram. I'm not a vocalist, I'm just passing on adivce from my band's vocalist.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

Just as a piece of advice coming at it from a different angle: if you like the guys vocals even if they're quiet, like if that's his style, get him to get closer to the mic and give the mic's gain a very slight increase...as much as you can get away with without it picking up just about everything else in the room. If the guy is a quiet singer and stays 6 inches off the mic, well, you gotta get him to get right up on it. You don't want him to swallow the thing, but getting right up on it would be beneficial.

If he's already doing that, and you haven't tried bumping the gain as well as the channel fader for his mic...then yeah, he needs to learn how to sing better.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Turn up his mic?
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
In my experience, you can sing as softly as you want; it's just a matter of how close you want to get to the mic.
Turn up his mic loud enough to hear it just like if he was singing properly
Quote by guitarmageddon0
but thanks for the advice about the diaphram im looking into online lessons for it now

I'd say for a singer especially you're best bet is to hunt down some real lessons for him. They will be cheap enough.

If you don't get him real lessons: I know I can only get the timbre I like best when I sing at low volumes, so maybe it's the singer equivelant of being picky about tone. If the problem is that the mic is too loud when someone else sings, why not just get more mics and leave one dedicated to the quiet singer cranked?
Don't make him shout. It's bad for his voice. Just tell him to practice singing a little louder every time and soon he will get used to it.

Because, I'm in one of my high school choirs, and theres 30+ girls, and 3 guys. I'm one of the 3 and we can hold our parts. We just practiced being louder, but not shouting.
Quote by guitarmageddon0

you know what, those type of ass holes are the ones that before a presentation, get nervous and dont present, if they do present they will sing softly, if they sing loud, he is gonna get lost, if its metal you dont need a good voice.

................./´ /)........./¯ //
..............,/¯// ........./...//
............./...//. ......./¯ //
.........../´¯/'´ ¯/´¯ /.../ /
........./'.../... ./... /.../ //
........('(...´(... ....... ,../'. .')
.........\.......... ..... ..\/..../
..........''...\.... ..... . _.•´
............\....... ..... ..(
..............\..... ..... ....
UPWARD STROKES ARE FOR LOOSERS.