so me and my friend couldnt find a singer for our band so i thought it was a good idea that i front it(me playing lead guitar and vocals) theres only one problem.....ive never sang before....i know i shouldve thought of that before but meh. you guys have any tips on singing(like how to sing good) and band leading in general?

Next purchase: Peavey Vypyr 30 Combo Amp
sing what you are comfortable with first, and try to be open about other people's suggestions on your singing - there will be many if this is your first time.
Another big thing, you have to know your stuff cold, I'm a bassist and a vocalist, and if I channel thought away from that happy medium I've found between bass and vocals, two things can happen:

1) Forget what notes to hit on the instrument

2) Drop the lyrics to keep the music flowing, then pick them up later.

Hope this little piece of advice helps.
Proud owner of a LAGUNA OCEAN TB-75
Quote by DanielQ
Can you sing? In my opinion, you either can or you can't.

I disagree. Everyone can sing if they practice. It's no different than learning guitar, everyone can learn it but some people learn more quickly than others. Vocal lessons help too.

There are some people who are just really good singers naturally, but everyone has the potential to be a decent vocalist.
Sing with a lot of air support. Take huge breaths even if it doesn't feel like its necessary. Push out the air from your diaphragm. This doesn't mean to sing as loud as you possibly can..but it should be well supported.
My only advice is to not give up, even if you find that you hate your singing voice. I'm very nasally and I don't really like it, but apparently others do...
Dave Mustaine said the secret to singing while playing something very complicated is to practice talking while playing.

Personally, I have no multi-tasking skills.
Quote by shortyafter
I disagree. Everyone can sing if they practice. It's no different than learning guitar, everyone can learn it but some people learn more quickly than others. Vocal lessons help too.

There are some people who are just really good singers naturally, but everyone has the potential to be a decent vocalist.

Well, I'd agree that everyone can sing to an extent. But to be able to see good enough to front a band? I suppose it depends on the genre of the music, but lead singers tend to need that natural talent, imho.
Quote by DanielQ
Well, I'd agree that everyone can sing to an extent. But to be able to see good enough to front a band? I suppose it depends on the genre of the music, but lead singers tend to need that natural talent, imho.

I disagree about the everyone can sing if they try. Look at that dude william hung, its not just his accent that makes him bad, but i dont really see any hope for that guy.
yeahh i just did the same thing. i quit my band with the bassist and decided to start a band with him and decided to try singing. i like singing but i honestly cant say if im good or not cuz im pretty negative on everything i do sooo im just gonna give it a try and see how it goes hopefully it goes good
some of the best legendary singers arnt what u call good singers they jus have sumat special example jim morrison, hendrix, cobain so guess it depends what kind of music u play and what your attitude is like towards it i guess but im no expert but i sing in a band myself and i say n do what i want cus i guess thats jus me n the music fits at times so its all good i think im jus tryin to say chemistry ha good luck!