I've been playing guitar for a while and I'm now just figuring out that some of my methods of playing were wrong. I used to be pretty fast at alternate picking, but my problem was that I wanted to pick with my whole arm instead of my wrist. Now I'm trying to train my wrist to pick fast, but it's not going to well at the moment. The fastest speed I can hit at playing 16th notes is 160 BPM. Now, some people might think that's pretty fast, but compared to what I used to be able to play it's crap. Can anyone here give me any advice on getting my wrist in shape? Is there a certain speed I should stick to for a couple days?
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
you've heard it before i'm sure, but you just need to practice the new technique. my bud did the same thing when switching from economy to alternate picking, he was ****e at first but he got his speed back eventually. you just have to work on it
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
it all comes down to the practice
try different licks or an old song you can play really well
just try to keep it from being too boring
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
You don't mean tremelo picking, do you? Speed picking is a pain in the a** when you're first learning (even harder if you have a bad habit already), but once you get it, you've got it!
Quote by Back in Red
You don't mean tremelo picking, do you? Speed picking is a pain in the a** when you're first learning (even harder if you have a bad habit already), but once you get it, you've got it!

Well, I'm kind of having to re-learn tremolo picking too, because using just my wrist is really new to me. I'm just taking the time to get used to it and I've made some major improvements just in a couple hours worth of practicing. My arm is having a hard time staying in place and gets a little sore after playing for a while because it's not used to staying still, haha! I've never really been good with working with metronomes, mainly because I'm really impatient, but I've put a stop to that. I spent all day on trying to get passed 160 BPM clean, but I'm still working on that.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!