I still have a couple of questions about rhythm and lead playing that I really need to get sorted out before I can even THINK about being in a band.

1. In a band that has a set rhythm player and a set lead player, is it typical for the rhythm player to get to do any solos of his own, or are solos reserved solely for the lead player?

2. How common is the type of situation that exists in some bands such as Iron Maiden, King Diamond, or older Morbid Angel in which both (or in Maiden's case, all three) players sort of share and trade off rhythm and lead playing? Is it realistic for a player looking for a band to join to have any hopes of being able to enter into such a situation, or should one expect to be confined specifically to either rhythm or lead?

I'd appreciate anybody who could help me understand some of this stuff.
You can set up solos however you like. That's just something that the band figures out on their own.

For your second question, that all depends on the songs.
Depends on the song and band really. Rhythm players can solo, Hetfield solos on quite a few songs, like To Live is to Die is a great example. Duo solos can be incorporated aswell.
A rhythm player is just a person that carries on the rhythm when the lead guitarist is doing leads.Rhythm players IMO have it best out of guitars in the band because rhythm guitarists is the fusion of the lead guitarist and bassist when you think of it.
I just work it out so that whoever can play the lead in w/e song better is the one who plays it.
What makes you think there are rules about this? Music is free, do whatever you want to express yourself as long as you have fun.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
What makes you think there are rules about this? Music is free, do whatever you want to express yourself as long as you have fun.

actually, technically, music is not free.....
Quote by xdeathxcorex

Tell that to the jazzplayers
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by fimbulwinter
I still have a couple of questions about rhythm and lead playing that I really need to get sorted out before I can even THINK about being in a band.

1. In a band that has a set rhythm player and a set lead player, is it typical for the rhythm player to get to do any solos of his own, or are solos reserved solely for the lead player?

2. How common is the type of situation that exists in some bands such as Iron Maiden, King Diamond, or older Morbid Angel in which both (or in Maiden's case, all three) players sort of share and trade off rhythm and lead playing? Is it realistic for a player looking for a band to join to have any hopes of being able to enter into such a situation, or should one expect to be confined specifically to either rhythm or lead?

I'd appreciate anybody who could help me understand some of this stuff.

It all really depends on your genre of music...

Personaly, i love good heavy metal bands that have two lead guitarst. the trick to it is finding a guitarist who plays similarly to you, then playing with them for hundreds of hours till you know eachother backwards. then you can jump in and out of solo's together, and when you not soloing, the "rhythm" sounds so much better then a lead guitarist and a rhythm guitarist playing together...

just my opinion, good luck.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
in my band there are two guitarist (me and another guy). I'm the "lead" player and he is "rhythm".

I play the majority of the solos, but he also plays a few. It's all about who writes a better solo for the song.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
in my band, me and the other guitarist swap between both and trade licks if you will its a very encouraging set up tbh. And very entertaining for us to to try carrying on from someone elses lead line :P especially when our styles vary so much
Because I use a lot of twin lead work (and so do a lot of the bands I like) my band needs two lead players.

The best thing to do (as someone mentioned) is find another guitarist who you have a certain amount of "chemistry" with. It's almost like you know exactly when the other will be playing a note, and the timing is in sync.

As to the question, I've found that when it comes to covers, whoever can play the solo should play it (If you both know it, then just decide) and if it's an original, whoever writes it should play it.
donkeys years ago when I could actually play, i was the rhythm guitarist but I played lead just on a couple of intro's / fill ins which I'd added to songs myself, and i also played lead on a couple of covers.

depends on the situation really- but thats how it worked for us back then
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Any GOOD Band will respect every role and let them work their magic how they want it.
I know in the "band" I'm in, it's a very tight situation, if I feel like playing something shreddy or slightly "impressive" the drummer will try to "out-do" me then complains if I "make it too difficult" during a song (like improvising a solo), this is NOT how it should work. Everyone should be okay with anyone's feelings in the band. Me and the Bassist are all fine with everyone soloing, however the drummer thinks the only person to solo for a lengthy time is her, everyone else has to have short ones that don't have any le-way, and no jamming, all has to be perfectly planned.

I'll warn you now. Avoid this.If it's one of theses cocky ****in' bands who're like "I don't think you're fit to be in this band because [loads of requirements]" Get the hell outta there.

In a good band, rythm, lead, whatever will have equal shares, but don't expect to get the "funner" part during rythm sections THEN the solo (funner part during solo sections), it'll either be equal share or you'll get your solos when you have a bit of call and response or a jam.
when i was in a band as a bass player, we had 2 guitars for a short while. until finally one guitarist ran off the other one by constantly complaining that his leads were boring. and to just stick to rhythm. it became the battle of the egos and the weaker one gave in. ...i always thought we sounded better w/ 2 guitars, but i didnt have a vote, as i was the fng at the time.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by xdeathxcorex

ya thanks alot lars ulrich
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I think most bands share rhythm and lead roles. Otherwise the rhythm guitarist would be very bored unless he/she sang as well.
I don't know about METALZLZZZZZZZ but I think it usually depends on the rhythm guitarists' skills, if he's good enough and the lead guitarists doesn't have a high-maintenance ego, I think swapping roles does and should happen.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.