So, I've been working on trying to tap my foot and play at the same time, to help me keep in time and such, and I can do it with standard chords and such, just a down up down up down up or something similar to that, but I started trying to do it with the standard blues rhythm (hopefully you know what I'm talking about) and I just can't seem to get it to work well, I tried slowing my speed down, but it still ****s with me.

Any tips?
But...why would you bake a cake in the woods? No one bakes a cake in the woods! :O

...BATTLE CLERIC!
make sure your doing the continuous up down with your hand, just strumming on certain ones. thats your metronome
A standard blues rhythm is based on the swung-eighth note. The first 8th note is actually a bit longer than the second one; they do not last the same amount of time. This is usually notated at the begining with a "quarter note and eighth note under triplet=2 8th notes" thing (you'd get it if you saw it).
The usual. Practice is a slow speed. I believe that some people are blessed with good timing. I for example, never had a problem with it, but I've been in music since I was 8. It's about finding a counting pattern that works for you. For example, if it's 6/8 time, I count 1-2-3/1-2-3 as opposed to 1-2-3-4-5-6. Sure, it gives it a triplet feel, but it works for me, so I use it.

You need to find a quirk in the pattern that helps you determine where you are in the bar at a particular time. Can you give me an example? I think I know what you're talking about but I wanna be sure. What types of notes are used and in which order? Quarter, Eighth,ect.

EDIT: It uses a dotted 16th before every beat if I'm correct, or at least thats one way to play it "shuffle" or whatever it's called. So if you can play stuff with dotted notes fluently and naturally, then you're good to go. Just kinda hum the rhythm out, and then play WHILE counting or tapping your foot.
Last edited by one vision at May 6, 2008,
Quote by one vision
EDIT: It uses a dotted 16th before every beat if I'm correct, or at least thats one way to play it "shuffle" or whatever it's called. So if you can play stuff with dotted notes fluently and naturally, then you're good to go. Just kinda hum the rhythm out, and then play WHILE counting or tapping your foot.
A classic swing feel is based on the triplet. However, some songs, especially those on the slowing side, use a hard swing based on the dotted eighth note and 16th note.