Hey Bass forum. At the moment I have a Yamaha RBX170 and a Crate BT15 amp. I'm not worried about the amp since I should get back my three old ass tube amps from the repair shop, and a number of musicians in the past loved the tones that came out of them. I'm also covered in the cabinet department with two JBL PA cabs that can handle 400w each.

Now, I'd like some suggestions as to what bass I could get. I'm a metal head when it comes to guitar, but I don't find the bass in metal appealing. I've found that I like to play stuff with lots of slapping and popping, with funky rhythms. Higher Ground and Get On The Floor are examples of stuff I've recently learned that I really like to play.

I'm more than willing - well actually I'm going to do it no matter what - to go used. I've found a couple of things on CraigsList such as this and this, but have no idea as to their suitability for what I want to play. I think I also understand that a Jazz bass is better than a Precision bass for slap?

So in short: What is a good bass for funk/slap bass in the range of $300-500 that isn't a beginner bass?

EDIT: If you want to be very nice, you can go to the Chicago CraigsList and find something that will suit what I need. There are various Jazz and P basses on there well withing my price range, but I'd like to know if there is anything better.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!
Last edited by ketiov at May 6, 2008,
Both good basses there you've picked out, I'd have to say you'd need to play them because they are both awesome
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects