Well, my picking is really $h!tty and I've noticed...

1. When I play I am usually under-hydrated.
2. I have been under alot of stress lately causing me to not focus on my relaxation
3. It is starting to get VERY hot in my room because it's summer and we have no air conditioner...
4. (This applies mostly to today) I am tired

Are any of these the source of my woes?
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
They can be, but you probably have bad technique.

Ahhh damn...

EDIT: A question about picking technique...
I tend to drag my pinky and ring finger against the strings of the guitar. Is this bad technique?

Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
They can be, but you probably have bad technique.

either that or AIDS. (it had to be said)

On a serious note: sort out the stress in your life and all that and then practice your technique.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Yeah, most of it you'll get with practice, as has already been posted these factors will affect your picking but only in a miniscule way compared to your technique.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by metal4all
On a serious note: sort out the stress in your life and all that and then practice your technique.

See? Now theres where I REALLY run into problems. NONE of my teachers around here know the first thing about good technique.

OK:
First, dehydration is bad in that it will cause muscle cramps, among other things, but it is probably a relatively minor factor.
Second: relaxation is very important to your playing, unless of course you want to play slower than you should and/or develop RSI's.
Finally, if you are tired, it will affect your concentration and will often make you more irritable which in turn affects your ability to relax.

Heat should not be that much of a factor in your playing.

As the others said, it probably is due to poor form, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't work to remedy the other problems, which could exacerbate your existing problems.

Good luck...
Every time you sit down to "practice" without a metronome, God kills a kitten.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Are you sure?

I am HIV Postive.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
I am HIV Postive.

ouch...

(I'm pretty sure we were both referencing South Park. I know we both watch Scrubs which is on comedy central, the same channel which has South Park so i'm guessing... i don't know.)

Anyways, i don't know anything about correct technique but i think i'm doing ok. You could ask people in the technique forum and i'm sure they'll help you. They're really smart. I know there are already threads posted in there about it.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
I am HIV Postive.

I'm not just sure, Butters, I'm HIV Positive.
^lol

Hooray for South Park!

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥