Hey guys ...i am getting an epiphone elitist les paul soon ,but i am stuck on the decision of which model... i was looking at the 57 gold top and the Standard Plus.. i know they both are made the same just the Top is Book-Matched Flame Maple for the Standard and the Gold Top wood is Hard Maple..But since the tops are different will they effect tonal wise at all? aka are they different...brighter/more well rounded tone/depth?..Which wood top is better? Thanks hope to get some help from anyone.
Last edited by torYxx at May 6, 2008,
Quote by torYxx
Hey guys ...i am getting an epiphone elitist les paul soon ,but i am stuck on the decision of which model... i was looking at the 57 gold top and the Standard Plus.. i know they both are made the same just the Top is Book-Matched Flame Maple for the Standard and the Gold Top wood is Hard Maple..But since the tops are different will they effect tonal wise at all? aka are they different...brighter/more well rounded tone/depth?..Which wood top is better? Thanks hope to get some help from anyone.

why dont you contact Epiphone and ask them about their tones, how or if they sound different

they would probably know best
Quote by nauc
why dont you contact Epiphone and ask them about their tones, how or if they sound different

they would probably know best

Probably because UG is a good resource to take advantage of, and someone around here probably has some experience with them or, at the very least, knowledge of the effects of different caps on tone.

Unfortunately, I can't say I have the answer to your question, TS, but I'm sure there's someone around UG who can answer this for you.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17
Probably because UG is a good resource to take advantage of, and someone around here probably has some experience with them or, at the very least, knowledge of the effects of different caps on tone.

Unfortunately, I can't say I have the answer to your question, TS, but I'm sure there's someone around UG who can answer this for you.

thanks dude...! i was hoping some one would understand...
There shouldn't be any noticable difference. In theory the flame maple on the Standard Plus will be a bit brighter than the plain maple of the Goldtop if the whole guitar bodies and necks were made with those woods, but since it's just the top the difference between flame maple tone and plain maple tone will be basically nothing. Unless you have hearing like a wolf then you won't notice the slightest difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I don't think Elitists are common here at UG. You might not find the info you want. Congrats by the way, thats my next guitar. I have played many Gibson standards and 1 Elitist. I dont know if all the gibsons were not great, or if the Elitist was a very very good one, it was the best LP I have played.