So i play in an acoustic pop rock band and sometimes I find it hard to compete with the bass and and drums as far as sound levels go. My electronics are turned up all the way, power mixers are being used, decent PA's and all that, but Im thinking that maybe my guitars and their electronics are the problem. I have an Ibanez acoustic, im not sure what the model is, but its got a pretty thin body on it. Could the thin body make for the sissy sound im getting out of it? If so let me know and dont be afraid to trash talk it I need good feedback and maybe some reasons to get rid of that guitar.

And now I have a pretty big and probably very opinion oriented question. What do some of you think is the optimum live performance brand, body style, and model of acoustic I could own? The same question goes for the electronics. I want this based on the price of everything not being an issue. I hear good things about Taylor and their Acoustic Expression systems and I've beeing looking at the 814CE model. I also hear good things about the electronics in Takamine acoustics. Anyone have any suggestions for those? Thanks, every bit of info is appreciated!
My Opinion: Stay away from the higher end Taylors. I've played them all and I've only been really impressed with the 600 series and the 400 series. Believe me spending $3000 on a an 814ce is not worth it. There are much better guitars for the money. (Although the 814 does look very sexy, but it doesn't sound that great).

As for electronics, I would rate the expression system in the low end. Its nothing special in the tone department, but its simple and reliable. As far as guitars that I have played, the ONLY acoustic pickup system that I think sounds good is the internal mic system on older Matons. It was as close to natural, studio quality acoustic tone I've ever heard on a pickup like that. The next acoustic I own will hopefully be a Maton, and I've only played on once. I was that impressed by the quality of the tone and the exceptional playability.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I'll take ur word on the high end Taylor thing, I wasnt looking forward to spending 3k, but if it were considered a good thing then I would have. Are there other good brands that come with internal mics?
Taylors are very nice and the 800 series is great sounding, playing and beautiful. However, it has the same ES system that the 300 series has. I had 4K to spend a few years back, and I ended up getting a 310CE L7. It was like $1300-ish, sounds and plays great acoustically and plugged in, etc. For the extra few grand, I didn't think the sound was "that much" different. Also, I don't want to freak out if I got a scratch on an 800 or 900 series. With the 310, a little nick here or there isn't a biggie and it plays the same to me.

Takamine's are great too, the better ones anyway. I see soooooooooo many major country stars playing those. Funny how a bunch of good ol' all American boys play imported guitars when they can play a Martin or Taylor. Must be a reason for that huh?

For live playing, I wouldn't consider anything other than a Taylor with an ES. I've played many guitars live and in the studio, and I've yet to hear anything that sounded better live as far as a pickup system. You could get a good condensor mic and put it in front, but there are other issues with going that route.

Look at a 300 series, preferably a limited edition (fall usually). The limited ones are usually unique, have different woods and some little extras thrown in, like the very nice tasmanian blackwood my 310 is made from. Beautiful....

Or, look at the 400 limiteds, like these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Condition-Taylor-416-ce-w-case-Limited-BLACKWOOD_W0QQitemZ330232150060QQihZ014QQcategoryZ159947QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Condition-Taylor-426-ce-w-case-Limited-BLACKWOOD_W0QQitemZ330232160813QQihZ014QQcategoryZ159947QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Last edited by dgonz at May 6, 2008,
USAPeavy, I just looked at the 600 series you were talking about...they're like $1000 more than the 800 series I really dont think I could do that. Am I maybe looking at the wrong series? Dgonz, I dont think the condenser mic thing would work either, we're not really a "stand in one spot" kinda band, but thanks for your opinion on the ES. I need to find something I can buy confidently, I've gone through about $2000 worth of acoustic guitars (3 of them in all) and I end up hating all of them for different reasons. I will look into the 300 series now, thanks for putting me in that direction. any other suggestions are always welcome.
Quote by Bright Light
And now I have a pretty big and probably very opinion oriented question. What do some of you think is the optimum live performance brand, body style, and model of acoustic I could own? The same question goes for the electronics. I want this based on the price of everything not being an issue. I hear good things about Taylor and their Acoustic Expression systems and I've beeing looking at the 814CE model. I also hear good things about the electronics in Takamine acoustics. Anyone have any suggestions for those? Thanks, every bit of info is appreciated!

Like you said, the answers that we can give are all very opinion oriented... so im not too sure how much good our answers would actually do you. but here goes anyway...

Any body style will do if youre being amplified. However, I still believe that the acoustic sound of the guitar comes before the amplified in terms of importance, especially since the electronics coming out these days are becoming more and more true and realistic to the actual sound of the guitar.

If I needed a guitar to be amplified, I would buy an acoustic guitar WITHOUT electronics, and add them on afterwards. If i add electronics onto the guitar afterwards, I can get a non-intrusive system that doesnt require a big hole in the side of my guitar. Also, with a system that sits within the guitar, I could easily upgrade to new electronics later on compared to the systems built into the guitar.
Last edited by captivate at May 7, 2008,
^^ Great point. If you're willing to find any guitar you like, then add pickups, you might already have what you want. If not, consider...

- Guild
- Tacoma
- Breedlove
- Martin
- Taylor G series

I love my Taylor, but it has a very different neck and feel than a Martin or Guild - both of which are also great guitars. That part comes down to a personal preference as well.

Keep in mind that even an ES, one of the best systems made, still doesn't sound quite like a miked acoustic, so don't expect it to. It gets damn close, but you'll hear that piezo quack at times. Not a bad sound, and very normal for live acoustics, but not a miked studio acoustic sound either.

If you play that Taylor, run it through an amp, and play some scales around the 7th fret or so in particular. You can hear that piezo sound a bit - just a heads up.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by dgonz

Look at a 300 series, preferably a limited edition (fall usually). The limited ones are usually unique, have different woods and some little extras thrown in, like the very nice tasmanian blackwood my 310 is made from. Beautiful....

Stop driving up the prices of my local tonewoods! leave them alone!
Quote by dgonz
- Guild

Biased. But these guitars are of rediculously high quality for a rediculously low price.
Quote by Siren Silently
Biased. But these guitars are of rediculously high quality for a rediculously low price.

Oh yeah. I've played their lowest end guitars and thought they were much nicer than most guitars I've played. They're very solidly constructed and built to last forever. You can feel that when you play them. Some of the best necks around too. I can pick one up and just play it all day - they practically play themselves.