Hey there,

I'm currently building a guitar with a friend....it's going to be a Fender Strat style.
Now I want to put in a single humbucker at the bridge (keep the electronics simple).

Any recommendations on a decently priced pick-up ($70-$110)?

PS: I'm not a guitar newbie but I've just never known...Passive and Active Pick-ups...is it just sound/noise quality that's the difference? silly question possibly
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
BTW its an alder body with Maple neck and Rosewood fretboard
Active pick-ups are better IMO. However, you have to router an extra cavity for the battery. As for hte pick up, it depends on your music preference. I'd recomend Seymour Duncans 59's. They're about 75 - 80 bucks. They're also passive.
depends on what ur lookin for man, actives sound steril, passives are nice and theres much more selection for passives than actives. Although the actives are getting more attention. But if u want a good metal pickup look at a dimarzio evo or x2n, if u want a blues type pick up hands down dimarzio paf-pro. but its all ur style man
Quote by DevilsDance76
Hey there,

I'm currently building a guitar with a friend....it's going to be a Fender Strat style.
Now I want to put in a single humbucker at the bridge (keep the electronics simple).

Any recommendations on a decently priced pick-up ($70-$110)?

PS: I'm not a guitar newbie but I've just never known...Passive and Active Pick-ups...is it just sound/noise quality that's the difference? silly question possibly

The one thing that sucks about pickups is that unlike pedal effects and such, you cant try them out before you buy. Now I just did the same thing you did with a Squier Strat. I put the EMG-SA active pickup set it, ABSOLUTELY AMAZING sound. I recommend those. If you're looking for a humbucker, read reviews, look on you tube, EMG Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio are the well known respected companies. Do some research and make sure you know what your doing with your buddy. It can cost you more money to fix it if you screw it up.

Active pickups have usually more output (volume) and gain, but they don't neccesarily mean better with distortion. Search google you'll a **** load about that topic.

Good luck!
My style is all over the place...last night I started playing Gordon Lightfoot and then transitioned into writing an 80s thrash song.

I want something that sounds good clean...and doesnt create a lot of noise like a single coil
if its great in a clean setting it should do fine with distortion
look at the dimarzo x2n then, it has more output than a emg 81 and its passive. i have the x2n-7 in my ibanez s320 and **** it slays
More output doesn't equate to better tone. When looking for a pickup, it's a good idea to be patient and poke around a bit. There are so many options out there, and they all sound so very different.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
More output doesn't equate to better tone. When looking for a pickup, it's a good idea to be patient and poke around a bit. There are so many options out there, and they all sound so very different.

Totally agree. Don't go strictly by statistics, try you're best to get a first hand sound of the pickup, what others may like (reviews), you may hate. For example, i love the Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck, but you for example may hate it. I could say it gives out great tones and all, but that's to me and it's my preference, it doesn't necessarily mean you would love it too.
IRON MAIDEN
7 Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia
23 Feb 2011, Melbourne, Australia
4 Mar 2011, Melbourne, Australia
------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube