I dont know how many of you actually read this book in your life but its controversial according to my english teacher. he said that if you sympathize for the main character you have traits of a mass murderer. Any i found this very disturbing because not only do i sympathize for the main character but i feel like im going through the same exact problems as him. Also, for once i actually finished a book that was assigned in school. This book actually kept my attention and stopped me from reading sparknotes. I dont know but the boook really made an impact on my life as to where i should be heading, and it clears up some confusion i had.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2ex2
mega distortion md-2
Metal Muff
Marshall MG microstack
Line 6 spyder hd75 halfstack
Sonic Stomp
Schecter Damien 6
i thought it was terrible. the kid just wandered around complaining about everything and contradicting himself.

i say if you sympathize with him, you don't have the traits of a serial killer. you have the traits of a pussy.
It's not true, cause I heard something different. I couldn't stand the book, annoying ass whiny bitch is all Holden is.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
Well its a very popular book and there haven't been too many serial killers
really? I didnt think he was whining that much. he was just kinda confused of what he wanted to do, in the end he found the simple happiness with his sister. and plus his stories were kinda entertaining >.>
Gear:
Ibanez RG2ex2
mega distortion md-2
Metal Muff
Marshall MG microstack
Sonic Stomp
Schecter Damien 6
They were, but some of the language he used became very stale very fast, which meant everything else was going to become very stale very fast.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Many serial killers have read the book. Mark David Chapman was holding the book when he killed Lennon.

Quote by guylee
i thought it was terrible. the kid just wandered around complaining about everything and contradicting himself.

That was kind of the point. He walked around complaining about the people around him who complained a lot. He was a hypocrite, and mentally unstable.

I love the book.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
Many serial killers have read the book. Mark David Chapman was holding the book when he killed Lennon.

He sat down a read near his body I read somewhere.
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Mark David Chapman, who assassinated John Lennon, was carrying the book when he was arrested immediately after the murder and referred to it in his statement to police shortly thereafter.[29] John Hinckley, Jr., who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981, was also reported to have been obsessed with the book.[30]
i have some of the traits of a serial killer, but i dont plan on killing anyone. traits dont really matter, its actions that make you a serial killer. anyone who is that influenced by a book is pretty weak minded, imo.
I have no opinion on this matter.
You don't have the traits of a serial killer. Serial killers can't be put into a box. They aren't cookie cut outs.

Good book. A little angsty, but we all have our moments, and anyone who says it is just whining either has the emotional capacity of a six year old, or is afraid of emotion itself.
There's also the whole rumour of Mark David Chapman basically worshiping that book, and having it on his body while he gunned down Lennon. Your teacher is more than likely misinformed, there seems to be many rumours surrounding serial killers and the book, so people probably just made that link; that serial killers like it, so anyone who likes it must be a serial killer. It's completely a logical fallacy.

EDIT: On a side note; great book.
Last edited by Jesse Mrau at May 6, 2008,
Quote by Zugunruhe
i have some of the traits of a serial killer, but i dont plan on killing anyone. traits dont really matter, its actions that make you a serial killer. anyone who is that influenced by a book is pretty weak minded, imo.

Go on about these traits...
Quote by SmElLy KiD

Quote by MODESTme
I dont know how many of you actually read this book in your life but its controversial according to my english teacher. he said that if you sympathize for the main character you have traits of a mass murderer.

haha i lold
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Quote by alter-bridge10
Mark David Chapman, who assassinated John Lennon, was carrying the book when he was arrested immediately after the murder and referred to it in his statement to police shortly thereafter.[29] John Hinckley, Jr., who attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981, was also reported to have been obsessed with the book.[30]

That doesn't seem credible, but anyway it got my attention, so im gonna read it, after i finish the pile of borrowed books i have on my night table...
Quote by isuckhardcore
Go on about these traits...

buy me a drink first.
I have no opinion on this matter.
But I already gave you a damn cookie!

THERE!

Quote by SmElLy KiD

your english teacher's kind of an idiot- if you sympathize with holden, you are more likely just a deep thinker who has serious qualms about many aspects of society that most people take for granted. take pride in the fact that you think differently and pick up some more salinger while you're at it. try franny and zooey or nine stories, they are both quite good.
anyone who even makes a statement like that based on the idea that people will sympathize with a character based on the character's views, problems, and actions, is a fool. Writers can make a reader fall in love with and worship ANY character, no matter what they do in a story. Holden could have gone around killing people instead of complaining about them, saying that he was taking revenge against a society that forced structure upon the creative individual, and people STILL would have loved him if the writer did a good job in his character development.

However, it is true that serial killers tend to have a similar mindset to Holden in that they are very upset about how society works, what with the whole working your entire life thing. same thing with crime and punishment, kinda, except he actually DID kill someone. And we all sympathized with him, didn't we?
are either of those books kinda like catcher in the rye? I like books that make me think of my life and at the same time allow me to reflect on it. Yes holden was kinda whiny at times but the reasons he has for his behavior is legit. the most i got from the book is that being alone for awhile really helps clear the mind. I got in an argument with my parents and my boss at work, and i just couldnt understand them. i just took a period from school off and drove straight literally for an hour and i felt alot better.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2ex2
mega distortion md-2
Metal Muff
Marshall MG microstack
Sonic Stomp
Schecter Damien 6
I've always been told that everyone sympathizes with Holden.

People usually read it as teenagers, and teenagers as a general rule are very confused, contradictory, and cynical, three traits that define Holden Caulfield.

If you're a full grown adult and you still sympathize strongly with the book you might have a similar mind-set to a serial killer, since by the time you're grown you should have gotten past dwelling over the things that piss off Holden so much.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
anyone who even makes a statement like that based on the idea that people will sympathize with a character based on the character's views, problems, and actions, is a fool. Writers can make a reader fall in love with and worship ANY character, no matter what they do in a story. Holden could have gone around killing people instead of complaining about them, saying that he was taking revenge against a society that forced structure upon the creative individual, and people STILL would have loved him if the writer did a good job in his character development.

However, it is true that serial killers tend to have a similar mindset to Holden in that they are very upset about how society works, what with the whole working your entire life thing. same thing with crime and punishment, kinda, except he actually DID kill someone. And we all sympathized with him, didn't we?

This. Exactly.
I thought it was great until my teacher took to calling me Holden and told me I was going to grow up to be a pot smoking loser for my entire life. Being told you're a depressed, angst ridden alcoholic who will never amount to anything is a bit of a buzzkill. But hey, just look at me now!
Wait, did he even kill anyone in the book? Anyways, I liked Franny & Zooey too.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by MODESTme
are either of those books kinda like catcher in the rye? I like books that make me think of my life and at the same time allow me to reflect on it. Yes holden was kinda whiny at times but the reasons he has for his behavior is legit. the most i got from the book is that being alone for awhile really helps clear the mind. I got in an argument with my parents and my boss at work, and i just couldnt understand them. i just took a period from school off and drove straight literally for an hour and i felt alot better.

they both are probably a little harder to read than catcher in the rye, but they are both also really good. franny and zooey definitely has similar themes, and nine stories is a collection of short stories, some of which are similar and others not so much. i'd say you should definitely pick up franny and zooey for starters, though.
Holden is the poster child for teenage alienation.
I would say that ALOT of teenagers would sympathize with him. It's almost strange not to sympathize with him.
However, I think many teenagers don't really understand Holden, they get the entire surface of that coming-of-age crap, but there's a deeper side to Holden that I don't think many teenagers get.
Anyway, I went off on a tangent.
It's abit ridiculous to claim that anyone who sympathizes with Holden has traits of a serial killer, but I think your teacher just mentioned it casually as a half-joking trivia kind of thing. Also, there is some basis to it. People who strongly identify with Holden is probably pretty cynical (like me), and they probably despise most of society. I guess you can say that people like me have more potential of going on a mass murdering spree, as opposed to someone who loves everyone and floats around in their happiness bubble.

I'd like to say that I hold humanity in pretty low regard and I think everyone is a total assfu cker. But I still wouldn't go off killing lots of random people. Why? Because no one has really pushed my buttons. However, if people did, I do see myself murdering lots and lots of people. Thankfully I was born in a happy family and though I was a victim of bullying for a short period, it was pretty minor. Now I dont see myself going off on a killing spree even if some serious crap happens to me, because my mind is alot more developed and I can view my situation objectively and I recognize my options to escape it and what not. But if I was younger and didn't have that mental ability, I do see myself going down pretty easily toward a totally different road and ending up as some crazed murdering lunatic.

Ok, I really just used this as an excuse to talk about myself, oh well.
Your teacher is a reactionary idiot. Catcher in the Rye is about far more complex issues that everyone feels to some extent.

Tell your teacher to **** off if she tells you you have traits off a mass murderer again.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at May 7, 2008,
I hated that book so much...
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Oh no, a killer was a fan of "Catcher In The Rye", therefore anyone who reads it is a serial killer!

Yeah, and how many people have been killed over the Holy Bible?

fucking hypocritical shitheads.

So as not to derail the thread: I read the book after much hype I heard over it. Frankly, it was ok it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I don't honestly see the controversy about it. Even with Mark David Chapman's name being attached to it.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

Last edited by Heid at May 7, 2008,
It's an awful book; and can be interpretted in different ways.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
One of my mates is a big fan of Catcher in the Rye, and his name is Peter Sutcliffe, I sh*t you not. He's not from Yorkshire, though.
I hated that book. Houlden is an asshat.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Where's the rumour you mentioned in the title?

You got me all excited thinking there was a movie being made or something.

I hate you now.

On a side note, great book. It pwns all others.
didn't the movie "conspiracy theory" have this thing where the government records every purchase of the book, because all of their hitmen are brainwashed to obsessively own a copy of it?