I've been playing bass for about a year and a half and I practice a lot but theirs one thing I've kinda slacked on; pinky work. I feel if I could get just that much better with it, it would go a far way. Anyone have any good exercises?
yea, just use all your four fingers in some type of pattern and use that to kind of "work out " your fingers, just like people that run. They don't run to go anywhere really, just to run. You would't really be playing a scale, just excersizing, and also, you could do an excersize to a scale if you find enough to keep you busy.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Along with scales, there is this exercise that is good for incorporating your pinky and stretching your fretting hand, called a spider scale or spider walk. There are a couple of youtube videos out there that demonstrate this technique.
Honestly the only reason I can use my pinky on my bass is because of expert Guitar Hero. It worked it out quite well. I have a lot more movement than I could ever have on my right hand.

EDIT:Not saying it works for everyone but it worked for me
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Scale practise is the key. Specifically, major scales, as I find they force more use of the little finger than other basic scales. Just slowly run them up and down in different positions, and eventually, you should get more confident with it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Thanks guys.
I'm checking out some videos on spider scales now; seems pretty good.
I can feel my little finger loosening up from just the past few days.
Yes, the spider scale is the best. The greatest thing about it, is that at slow speeds it's a strength exercise, but at higher speeds it becomes a stamina and dexterity exercise. Probably the best exercise ever made.
i usually use my pinky instead of stretching out my ring finger. What helped me was playng -1-3-5 boogies.
1 3 5 boogies are FANTASTIC for this if youre just gettin into it
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
I used to play 5-8-7-8 over and over. Doesnt matter what string you play it on. Of course you can move the pattern too, cause you have to stretch pretty much if you play it in that position.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500