42 51%
DR
16 20%
Rotosound
1 1%
other (please specify)
20 24%
Voters: 82.
what strings are good for metal w/ good amt of low end and less mid sound and last kinda long without tarnishing or corroding quickly or breaking? i change my strings more often than others so i dont wanna do that anymore. I have a Jackson RR5 imma get some 10-52 bottom heavy strings so i guess my options are:

Dunlop
Ernie Ball (apparently they get messed up fast although they are cheap)
Rotosound (i have no idea what these are like)
DR Dimebag (only good for tremolo bridge guitars??)

if you know any others please specify what brand.

EDIT: oh yeah i want something kinda loose for bending and wide vibratos.
Last edited by apak at May 10, 2008,
i'd say the eb heavy bottoms cuz i've played the dr dimebags and i didn't like them at all
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
I use GHS Guitar boomers.
they make a 10-52 set
might be 10-54, i'm not sure. I've tried a lot of other strings (including the $14 Elixrs) and still keep coming back to these GHS ones
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
D'addarios. Can't believe you forgot them.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
I use D'Addarios and my strings last a long time, around six months with full tone.

I clean them as much as I can though, and I have had them last almost a year.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by cerveza
I use GHS Guitar boomers.
they make a 10-52 set
might be 10-54, i'm not sure. I've tried a lot of other strings (including the $14 Elixrs) and still keep coming back to these GHS ones

+1 on ghs, i use 10-49 or something like that.
Quote by Generalpwnt

no i dont like those at all
D'adario works for rookies I personally use Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom, and rotosound should only be used on bass and only when attempting to emulate a Steve Harris tone
Quote by thepusher
D'adario works for rookies I personally use Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom, and rotosound should only be used on bass and only when attempting to emulate a Steve Harris tone

thanks for the daddarios... no really he's right.
Quote by thepusher
D'adario works for rookies

Please tell me this is a joke.
Quote by apak
thanks for the daddarios... no really he's an idiot and is quite wrong.

Fixed.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I use D'Addarios and my strings last a long time, around six months with full tone.

How the hell do u get a year of life out strings on an electric?
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
Quote by majonior
How the hell do u get a year of life out strings on an electric?

Maybe if you play for 12 seconds a day...?
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
I've been playing for 16 years. I've played MANY types of strings on many types of guitars. I'll tell you that when you compare similar type strings from 2 different brands, you will not be able to tell the difference....

It's like a mental/marketing thing. If you spend more money on something, you want to believe it is better to justify the expense.... Now I know there will be folks who disagree... but I bet if you took 3 similar guitars and put 3 different brands of similar type strings on them, these people would not be able to name the brand of string on the guitars with any accuracy..... anyone care to take this Pepsi challenge.

I would tell you to buy a couple of different packages of strings and try them out. If you land on one you like... use it... theres nothing wrong with that....

I buy my strings by the box.... and usually I'll buy whatever is cheapest/on sale. I change strings 2-3 times a month. In 16 years of playing.... thats a hell-ov-alot o strings. My guitar stays in tune, I don't break strings, and my strings don't rust.

Don't worry so much about the BRAND of strings when shaping your "metal" tonez. (You may want to think about string gage if you are tuning lower than standard for any length of time.) Worry more about guitar, pickups, and amp..... but even more than that concentrate on your playing and technique!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Last edited by brianthemayan at May 7, 2008,
Quote by jthm_guitarist

you must not play a lot...or i play a whole lot...ive used them before...and they lasted as long as any other set of strings i have...about a week...ahahhhaha...and no i dont have a whammy...i just play a bunch...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I've used a few types, fender- d'addario- but I tend to go for ernie balls.

However my guitar is in for a fret dress and setup, and I discussed strings with the tech, and he reccomended d'addario XL's for the reason that they come in a sealed packet an therefore last longer. So I'm trying those for the first time in years for a change.

To be honest I can't tell hardly any difference between makes, maybe its cos i'm crap
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
dean markley blue steel strings are awesome. they last long.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Rotosounds are by far my fave string and i play metal.

I have used Dr and Ernie Ball quite a bit but never tried Dunlops.

Ernie Balls i find only start to sound ok after they have been on the guitar a while. The rotos sound good straight away and last for ages. Dr make good strings, Tite-fits being my fave from them but i find the strings to be inconsistent. some packs feel great, others not so. again rotosound beats all i have tried in this department.

Rotos also have a slightly darker tone than most nickel plated strings which i like
Elixir.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
ive tried a fair few strings after playing 4 years. And hears my verdict.

D'Addario- proberly has the best tone, feels quite tight, instantly useable, tune up easily, little strecthing time. Good shelf life, last pretty long time, but they begin to get stick after a while before they rust. Although very consistant.

Elixirs- although they have anti rust properties and all that tech stuff. I find they are quite bright, and are inconsistant. Like one time i brought some lasted around 2 months or so, another set little more than a week.

Rotosound- Um not great tone, feel pretty dam loose, almost to loose and flabby. Mediocore tone, generally ok. Take a fair while to rust, but once they do they will begin snapping easily.

Ernies- my personal fav at the moment. Have the best tension for me. Loose enough to bend but not as flabby as the rotos so that alt picking becomes a problem. Last a pretty long time, and consistant quality. Only fault is they take while to stretch, so be sure to put them on a few days before gig.

Summary- ernies for win, d'ads win marginally on tone and elixirs if u want bright accoustic sound. And rotos if ur on a budget.
I have been using the DR Dime strings, 9-50, they have a tone midway between the Tite-Fits and Hi-Beam strings. They are great on fixed bridges as well as tremelo bridges. They are also coated, but cost a less than elxirs with better tone.
Quote by Generalpwnt

+1 I've tried almost a dozen different strings. As soon as these Boomers wearout I'm going back to them and staying there.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD