Does anyone know what the tuning is for 1/4 of a step UP on a regular 6 string guitar? Please help. Thank you.
well, it wouldn't really be anything in the standard set of frequencies mostly used in music. what i mean is it would be in between notes. if the guitar was in standard, you'd be halfway between E and E#, halfway between A and A# and so on. usually you want to go with whole and half steps. hope this helped.
I've seen people tune DOWN a 1/4 step before, but not up. It's similar to the effect sitars get where they can play quarter tones. You can only tune in 1/4 steps accurately if you recalibrate your tuner, by adjusting the frequencies (not sure exactly what has to be done). Because all the strings are tuned equally you can play riffs and they wont sound incorrect, and you'll be suprised how used to it you can get.

Realistically you can tune up or down however much you want and it wont matter, as long as all the strings are tuned equally. The only reason people normally only tune in whole or half steps is because western music is based around a tone/semi-tone note system, so in a sense it "steps" the pitch so it's easier to listen to and construct on.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
well, it wouldn't really be anything in the standard set of frequencies mostly used in music. what i mean is it would be in between notes. if the guitar was in standard, you'd be halfway between E and E#, halfway between A and A# and so on. usually you want to go with whole and half steps. hope this helped.

Actually, it would be halfway between E and F

And I've never heard of a tuning like that before.
Just dont break your E string
Gear:
- G&L Tribute Series Legacy Guitar
- Behringer V-tone GM108 15-watt amp
Reelbigfish2020 was right zombie monster. Though it is nonstandard to use the term E#, E# does in fact = F. So he was correct in saying that tuning a quarter step up from E would be halfway between E and E# which is the same as saying halfway between E and F.
Quote by zombie_monster
And I've never heard of a tuning like that before.

I have, on the original recording of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica the guitars are tuned up to match the bell at the beginning. Either that or the recording is sped up but I can't think of any reason why they'd do that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.