I honestly looked through the sticky's for a little bit, but I couldnt find anything. Now I've been playing guitar for 7 years and I understand basic and intermediate music theory for the most part. I've heard people arguing back and forth about whethere there are E#'s, Gb's and things like that and saying that there is a difference between them...if so, what is the difference? I hate to sound remedial, but someone please put my confounded mind at ease with this lol
What they're talking about is Enharmonic equivalents. Basically it means a Gb is the same as an F#, but depending on what scale you use you will either use the flat or sharp.

In regard to the E#, it is basically the enharmoic equivalent of F, and is hardly ever used.
E#'s just for notation they're F's and then G♭'s are a different note. It goes

E(half step)E#/F(half step)G♭/F#(half step)G
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
If you have a Gb and G# written in the same song..it would confusing as heck.
You'll see the b and # on the same line for the key signature.

But as you read the rest of the notations it would be screwie as heck...
for staters

maybe you'll play G# instead of playing a Gb when you're suppose to play the
Gb..Becuase the # or b symble dosen't always show on the rest of the notations.

bascially if you write a song in #...keep it in #, even thou F# and Gb gives
the same pitch.

so if you want the pitch of Gb played with G#..it's easier on my brain
to see it as F# and G#
Last edited by Ordinary at May 7, 2008,
So its 2 names that exist for the same note? There isnt some other musical realm where an E# sounds different from an F, correct? because that would be black magic...
This is what my orchestra teacher says, I'm not sure if I agree, but it makes sense."Pianos and fretted instruments sound ok in any key, but stringed instruments can play perfectly in tune in every key." Guitars and pianos sound fine to me, but I have to admit a C# in the key of D does sound better if you raise it a little bit (I play a stand-up bass). Normally though, the notes fit the key signature. If you are playing something in G, you would call it an F#, not a Gb.
There's pitch in between.
There's millions of pitch in between... write a simple pitch frequency
on q basic and check it out.

There's other instruments with more than 12 tones in an octive.

When you do a bend a note , you don't bend it 1/2 pitch up..
just 1/4 pitch or 3/4 up per say.

But we've trained our ears to the diatonic system.
Well, it depends on the intervals in the scale. If you have a #4 then you find the 4th note and sharpen it (all relative to the major scale of the key). If you had a #4 you wouldn't play, for example in the key of c major) a Gb because that would be b5.

This might not sound important but when you have a harmonic minor scale which has #7 8 at the top you can't put b8 8 because you can't have two 8's.