Few months ago I was determined to purchase the F-50 with its amazing body and double humbuckers. Gave it a play in store and I was hooked up to most likely a 60w+ beast of an amp. Completely persuaded to purchase but then I got it plugged into a Fender Frontman 15G practice amp and was utterly disappointed.

Now here I am, with the prospects of purchasing the F-250 with the licensed floyd rose tremolo as well as EMG-ESP LH-301 pickups.

Unfortunately the cheapest price I could find is AUD$979 (i.e. USD$928) and looking through US websites, it's advertised for as low as USD$419. Yes, I know there are import taxes and shipping fees associated for local retailers to get them here in the first place, but I'm not prepared to flesh out $1000 just yet for a guitar.

My question is really, how great are the EMG-ESP LH-301 pickups? Reviews everywhere are mainly positive with some exceptions of those replacing with active EMGs, and some saying the original EMG H4Z are better.

Is the F-250 worth my Australian $1000?

My specs are: self-taught 1.5 years, currently have squier strat and play mainly rock (specifically, visual kei jrock)
ESP Edwards E-FR-130GT
Roland Cube 30X
Idol: Sakito (Nightmare)
Most people would probably tell you to upgrade your amp before anything else.

I'd have to agree with them because my little brother has the 10 watt version of that amp and it sucks ass.
Quote by hirruken
Few months ago I was determined to purchase the F-50 with its amazing body and double humbuckers. Gave it a play in store and I was hooked up to most likely a 60w+ beast of an amp. Completely persuaded to purchase but then I got it plugged into a Fender Frontman 15G practice amp and was utterly disappointed.

Now here I am, with the prospects of purchasing the F-250 with the licensed floyd rose tremolo as well as EMG-ESP LH-301 pickups.

Unfortunately the cheapest price I could find is AUD$979 (i.e. USD$928) and looking through US websites, it's advertised for as low as USD$419. Yes, I know there are import taxes and shipping fees associated for local retailers to get them here in the first place, but I'm not prepared to flesh out $1000 just yet for a guitar.

My question is really, how great are the EMG-ESP LH-301 pickups? Reviews everywhere are mainly positive with some exceptions of those replacing with active EMGs, and some saying the original EMG H4Z are better.

My specs are: self-taught 1.5 years, currently have squier strat and play mainly rock (specifically, visual kei jrock)

I just have to say, i was in the EXACT SAME POSITION as you, i wanted the f-50, althought now have the f-250. great guitar. wont dissapoint
Quote by OsokDracul
Most people would probably tell you to upgrade your amp before anything else.

I'd have to agree with them because my little brother has the 10 watt version of that amp and it sucks ass.

I don't perform but thankfully I've just joined up with some friends to jam (they are already consider ourselves a band after one session lol), and the drummer has a Behringer V-TONE GMX210 2 x 30 Watts Amp in his house which will be sufficient for now.

I am going to sell off my prac amp to the other friend (keyboardist, but learning guitar) and get myself a micro cube. It's perfect for me, as most of the time at home I just play without plugging my electric into anything. If I needed to plug it in at home, I'd actually just plug it into a pedal and listen through headphones.
ESP Edwards E-FR-130GT
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Epic_chef
I just have to say, i was in the EXACT SAME POSITION as you, i wanted the f-50, althought now have the f-250. great guitar. wont dissapoint

I had a look through your own posts and I gotta agree with you, we do come from the same position. I EVEN HAVE A ZOOM G1X PEDAL.

So how long have you had your f-250? You probz paid a lot more judging from your previous posts with the f-250 states somewhere like 1300.

How are the lh-300 pickups? and how are they compared to the emg alternatives? how long have u been playing?

Finally, I noticed your post about different tunings on a floyd rose. Are you still using different tunings, or not anymore?
ESP Edwards E-FR-130GT
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by hirruken
I had a look through your own posts and I gotta agree with you, we do come from the same position. I EVEN HAVE A ZOOM G1X PEDAL.

So how long have you had your f-250? You probz paid a lot more judging from your previous posts with the f-250 states somewhere like 1300.

How are the lh-300 pickups? and how are they compared to the emg alternatives? how long have u been playing?

Finally, I noticed your post about different tunings on a floyd rose. Are you still using different tunings, or not anymore?

I actually have mine with HZ EMG pickups.... and they sound great, i was in a unique position, i got mine NEW for 500 AUS... let me explain

It appeared in cash converters for 500, and i looked it over, it was in perfect condition, absolutely perfect. not a single scratch, the plastic backing on the back covers was still there, it was never played. i realised some kid must of been unhappy with his present or anything. I am still an awful player, but now am lucky enough to have the F-250

I use drop D tunings, the guitar is amazing.
Quote by Epic_chef

It appeared in cash converters for 500, and i looked it over, it was in perfect condition, absolutely perfect.

lol, one word. b*stard. I remember reading that post when I was searching for details about the f-250 a few months ago!
ESP Edwards E-FR-130GT
Roland Cube 30X
i am in the same position as you guys...kinda
lol i was looking at the cheapest f so i thought of the f-50 but i decided i'll pick up the titanium f-250 at a store 20 minutes from me in around 2 weeks, which is about $419 without taxes
Quote by Shukie
i am in the same position as you guys...kinda
lol i was looking at the cheapest f so i thought of the f-50 but i decided i'll pick up the titanium f-250 at a store 20 minutes from me in around 2 weeks, which is about $419 without taxes

That's gotta be US price....
ESP Edwards E-FR-130GT
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by hirruken

Google bmusic you can probably get something better for teh same price there.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
I have it. Its really nice. You could get much nicer for 1000 though...
I don't see why not. I'm normally against agathis + passive EMGs (both of them just spell out fail), but in your situation it won't make that much of a difference anyway. And it's always nice to have a trem.

But once you move up to something better than the V-Tone (they are okay, but once you guys get going you're gonna want something better with tubes) then you will regret not getting something with better wood and pickups. Just keep that in mind.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I have active and passive emgs...They both behave exactly the same way
when you play..but the actives are just insane as far as output goes.

When I look for a guitar I look for the Wood..neck construction and shape.
I dont really care about things i dont need. Sometimes better pickups and
a tremelo setup are the only difference. Sometimes there are cosmetic
upgrades that dont effect the sound.

If you want a functional guitar and u want function over looks...
Buy the cheaper version if it has all of the features u want and
simply upgrade the pups. Sometimes you can get the sound that
you want and only pay a fraction of the price difference.

I was once gonna buy a $600 les paul..until i found out that the
flame top was a vinyl sticker that was clear coated over. Then I
went with my custom SG.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
You can find better guitars for the money, honestly. When looking at the LTD series of guitars from ESP basically anything below the 400 series isnt very good.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

If you want a functional guitar and u want function over looks...
Buy the cheaper version if it has all of the features u want and
simply upgrade the pups. Sometimes you can get the sound that
you want and only pay a fraction of the price difference.

The F-50 is about half the price of the F-250, alas there is no floyd rose tremolo. I've been checking out ebay continually to see if that guitar will appear for a ridiculously low price. Looking there, I just realised that for about $300 on top of the $979 of the F-250, I can get an Edwards maple/mahagony body guitar with seymour duncan pups.

Just highlights the bad value now. *dies*

Quote by edge11
Google bmusic you can probably get something better for teh same price there.

That's exactly where i got the price for the F-250. I have looked there, nothing really else catches my eye, do you have a suggestion from there?

Quote by mafropetee

But once you move up to something better than the V-Tone (they are okay, but once you guys get going you're gonna want something better with tubes) then you will regret not getting something with better wood and pickups. Just keep that in mind.

This also just re-inforces the decision NOT to buy the f-250. If I become a serious performing guitarist, I'd like this guitar to see me through it all. It would become THE guitar I play.

Unfortunately, I am very into that body design and very unlikely to move from away from that design. A huge contributing factor is that it's the guitar used by the Nightmare's guitarist Sakito, a major if not greatest influence to me for guitar now. However, I do consider it a fkin sick lookin guitar regardless it being used by Sakito.

On the topic of 'the one guitar to rule them all', how much (you can quote USD) would a guitar that you will play for life cost? Taking note, it's going to be used for the band that my friends and I have made which will have the occasional gig and if possible reach to some presence in rock community. but that's all.

For now, I guess I'll have to delay the purchase of my next guitar and stick with my squier strat (it ain't bad it does its job, too bad its SSS and not 24 frets).

If by reading all this, you guys are coming up with other alternatives, I'm a fan of ESP and Ibanez guitars, Schecter would be the last company I would turn to for guitars thereafter.
ESP Edwards E-FR-130GT
Roland Cube 30X
Look into the F-2E. Pickups still aren't something to rave about, but at least it's got a mahogany body and a coil tap to give you more sounds. Pickups can always be replaced but you're stuck with the wood. Not to mention, it's god damn beautiful.

Edwards is a good choice as well if you can find one and can afford it. The E-FR-130GT and E-FR-145GT/QM are basically F (Forest) shapes.
Quote by mafropetee
Look into the F-2E. Pickups still aren't something to rave about, but at least it's got a mahogany body and a coil tap to give you more sounds. Pickups can always be replaced but you're stuck with the wood. Not to mention, it's god damn beautiful.

Edwards is a good choice as well if you can find one and can afford it. The E-FR-130GT and E-FR-145GT/QM are basically F (Forest) shapes.

Yeah the F-2E is nice, but that mahagony body doesn't come in black
ESP Edwards E-FR-130GT
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by hirruken
Yeah the F-2E is nice, but that mahagony body doesn't come in black

Okay now you're just focusing a bit too much on looks. Quality, feel and sound are WAY more important to looks.
Quote by mafropetee
Okay now you're just focusing a bit too much on looks. Quality, feel and sound are WAY more important to looks.

Yeah, I have to admit I was sounding far too focused on looks. It's because I've been focusing on that guitar since near the very start of when I picked up an electric (1.5ish years ago)

I just got a quote for the Edwards E-FR-130GT at AUD$1450 i.e. USD$1362. In comparison to the $979 LTD F-250, the Edwards is definately good value with SD pups, original floyd rose and ash body. but that's gonna blow my wallet HARD. at uni student working a day week :|
ESP Edwards E-FR-130GT
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by hirruken
Yeah, I have to admit I was sounding far too focused on looks. It's because I've been focusing on that guitar since near the very start of when I picked up an electric (1.5ish years ago)

I just got a quote for the Edwards E-FR-130GT at AUD$1450 i.e. USD$1362. In comparison to the $979 LTD F-250, the Edwards is definately good value with SD pups, original floyd rose and ash body. but that's gonna blow my wallet HARD. at uni student working a day week :|

Well like I said, if you can afford the Edwards, get it. They come damn close to a real ESP as far as quality goes, and it will last you the rest of your playing career.